Wednesday, April 24, 2013

BACK ON TRACK

After the Albany Marathon, after the elation abated, after job and farm demands, I was running on empty.  Training took the back burner.  I rationalized that a break was due anyway because the arthritis in my hip had become a bother again.  Guess what?  Two weeks without running and my hip pain was getting worse. 

With a 16 day multi-state trail running trip coming up in May, discouragement barely describes how I felt.  One night, I happened upon Erin Henderson's blog, See Mom Run Far.  Erin is on a mission to qualify for the 2016 U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials.  I gave 110% to run my last marathon in 3 hrs and 34 minutes, her goal of running almost an hour faster at 2:43 (or less), blows my mind.  Consider also that she's in her mid thirties with 12 kids.  Before you start taxing your brain to do the math...3 are her bio kids, 9 are adopted.  


Erin and her brood
 A week went by, still no running and the pain coming from hip socket was now a constant burn.  Sleeping wasn't restful, I awoke one morning across the head of the bed atop all the pillows.  I must have been trying to find a comfortable way to prop my hip up, or Cole was hogging the sheets.  Another perusal through Erin's blogspot and I noticed that she offered coaching services.  Hmmm.

Maybe a woman who obviously can balance her goals with family, fiscal and work responsibilities could help me find my equilibrium again. 

Receiving my custom training plan was like Christmas is April!  I poured over every daily entry like I was digging goodies out of a Christmas stocking. 



Pasture running

I'm back to running my loops at the farm, enjoying the beautiful scenery.  This is the second week on Erin's plan and I have officially completed two speed work runs.  Apart from the occasional dash between telephone poles, I'd never done anything like this before.


Cheat sheet

Not wanting to screw up my first speed work, I penned the instructions on my forearm.  After my second such workout today, I get the gist of it:  you run as fast as you can for a quarter or half mile, until you feel your head throb, then you slow down, before you can recuperate, you do it again and again...  Fun, eh?  Really, it is.  Jamie's got her groove back!!!

Tonight, Cole and I registered to run our first ultra marathon in October.  We're both very excited.  And, no, I'm not trying to kill my dog.  Another runner from Washington state ran it with his dog a couple years ago.  I have contacted him and his dog is still very much alive and running! 


Goblin Valley Ultra50,  in Utah
 Can you see why it would appeal to me?  No crowds, no buildings, no cars, serenity.
Dad will be crewing for us, he doesn't know about that yet...all I said was:  "Dad, want go out West with me this Fall?".  

As for running the Boston Marathon next year, I have one foot on the ground on the "not going" side, but my other foot is stuck in the fence.  It's been a dream to participate, a validation for all the hard work long distance running entails. To run in a city (confined asphalt place), through throngs of screaming people (it's called cheering, but I still have anxiety issues about it)---I was uneasy about it even before the bombings.  But, ten years from now, I'll lament if I don't go.  It will be a chance to meet my coach from Wyoming.  Erin has definite plans to be there.  Always focus on the positive!

Sometimes, you have to reach out when you need help.  Tip of the hat to my new coach who's helped me locate my misplaced vim and vigor!  I still felt froggy after my run this morning, so I trimmed the draft horses' feet.


Angus being very obedient, Bella waiting in the wings


 Life is good.