Friday, August 30, 2013

Meet And Greet

Before introducing you to my flock, I need to make an announcement:

I'm Baaaaaaaaaaack!

7.6 mile run


Finally back to running.  Injuries are for the birds! 

Speaking of birds, look what the girls have been up to:

 
 
Golf balls were placed in the nesting box to teach them to lay there and not on the ground.  My girls are fast learners.


I have nine new hens from this Spring.


Not easy to get individual pictures of them.  So, here are some Google photos.

Lily is my one Delaware hen.  The breed is the on a Critical Conservation Status due to its shrinking population.



Kharma and Dharma are my two Indian Brahma hens.  They can be distinguished from the Delaware by their feathered feet and the fact that they're one of the largest breeds of chickens.


One All-American girl, Ruby is a Rhode Island Red.


A French breed, Marguerite is a Faverolle, another on the Critical Conservation Status.


Daisy and Poppy are my two blue tinted egg layers.  Sometimes called Easter Egg hens, the true breed name is Ameraucana.


Lastly is my new favorite breed:  Sussex.  My Aven and Tulip are originally from the UK.  On the Threatened Conservation Status list.  These hens are the friendliest and most inquisitive of all the breeds I've had in the past. 

I chose my breeds based primarily on their laying ability, but also taking into account their temperament.  I had Ancona hens a few years ago that went ballistic every time I entered the coop.  Unpleasant memories of being beaten in the face with wings and projectile poop. 


The hens are working overtime producing an average of 8 eggs a day.  I had planned on selling eggs this year, but due to the chicks' late arrival, thus later maturity, egg production started late and I'm hoarding these eggs to ensure a constant supply through the Winter when they take a break from laying.



I freeze my eggs...didn't know that was an option, did you?  I put one per Ziploc and mash the yolk up with my thumbs through the plastic.  They keep well for a year!

The girls get repositioned over fresh grass every day.  The Hyundai pulls double duty as a chicken taxi.


More about the birds and the bees.


Bees everywhere are under assault by disease, pesticide use, urban sprawl---you name it, their populations are being decimated.  I always try to provide them with one dependable source of nectar.  The Torch Tithonia (Mexican Sunflower) is a large annual that blooms straight through the Summer and seems impervious to hot, dry weather.


Do a bee a favor and plant Tithonia next year!