Thursday, February 22, 2018

Garrett Learns a Valuable Lesson

Garrett learned the hard way today to give these a wide berth.
I had great plans to use my day off to catch up on projects around the house when Murphy's Law came knocking.
Well, actually is was Garrett who came barreling back in from the yard looking very distressed.  I observed he was licking his lips excessively so I checked his mouth and perceived what I hoped was a only a wasp bite.  Dax was harassing him, so I  locked Garrett in the bedroom for 10 minutes while tending to The Entitled One.

This is the sad face that greeted me! His right cheek had swollen up like a balloon.  Ok, not a wasp, but a venomous snake bite. Flynn helped me stuff him full of Benadryl and I blasted off the farm in the direction of the vet clinic.

He still hasn't told me how he ended up with the puncture wounds inside his upper lip.

Just like someone after having wisdom teeth pulled, Garrett drooled a lot.

By the time we left the clinic, I could already see some improvement and reduction in swelling.

With the edema dropping down his face, he has more Chins than a Chinese telephone book.  Rightly so, Dr. Brown recommended removing his collar.

A little sugar, or Haagen Daz, makes the medicine go down.  Poor guy, what a rough day.  He'll be on antibiotics and cortisone for a couple weeks.
Who ever heard of snakes coming out of hibernation in February??? Well it is in the 80's-- in February!  So wrong, so wrong.
This is war:

I love my non venomous snakes, but I love my dogs more.  Hopefully, I won't cause collateral damage to my beneficial snakes, but I'm coming after the troublemakers.

Meanwhile, The Entitled One didn't appreciate being out the spotlight.  While Garrett and I were at the vet's office, he drank his sorrows away... in my bed...with olive oil... 

This ought to be a fun night.

He's already farting up a storm under my desk.