Thursday, April 19, 2018

Bikejoring

Running is my drug, my analgesic, my escape.  Around mile 3, the endorphins hit me and it takes a lot to get my attention after that.

Lately a certain foot niggle has been getting louder and louder.  Run harder and longer has been my solution, and Tuesday night was no exception.  Dax and I were blazing through the woods so fast, I felt like a Kenyan. 

I knew I was in trouble when I had to stop during our run to loosen my left running shoe laces because my foot was swelling.  Sleep wasn't as blissful as normal because of the midget hiding under the sheets stabbing my foot with stiletto blades.
By morning, the benevolent angel that sits on my right shoulder had given up preaching moderation and temperance.  The gargoyle perched on my left shoulder was screaming blasphemies and suggesting I kill someone in order to feel better.
My orthopedic surgeon squeezed me late afternoon and I was getting X-rays taken by 4 PM.  He was not amused that I have been running on multiple fractures for months.  The level of damage being such that he wants an MRI next week to come up with a plan.  
Plan for now: no running minimum 8 weeks. 
Right shoulder angel said to get ice cream and we'd watch a movie in bed after giving Dax that Benadryl I'd been threatening for months.
Left shoulder dude wanted me to beat the steering wheel with my fists and yell obscenities.
Let's call the left guy Graham, because I really like his spunk.  After work, instead of missing a run with Dax, Graham came up with a brand new plan: bikejoring.

So what if Dax has never even seen my bicycle.
Graham says get your a@# to the Boonies and I do.

Pushing dusk, I don't have time to set up the GoPro, I have to hold my cellphone to record Dax learning how to lead a bicycle. 

Amazing how fast you can go!  Most exercise was upper body... from squeezing the hell out of the brakes. I'll be going through more brakes than breath mints!

He's doing it!!

I get in trouble when I realize he's going to jump in his favorite creek and I won't be able to stop him.  

I bail and he takes the bike with him.

Back in the saddle.

To the Boonies in record time and back home in one piece.

Peter suggests we hook him up with a wagon so he can ride!

And then there was the bliss of a tired puppy.