Thursday, August 30, 2018

Modes of Conveyance

To boogie from one place to another on this large plantation usually calls for leaving a carbon footprint.  It can be the fastest way to go, but is it the best?  Adding a mere minutes to my time between places, I've been opting to forgo the car, truck, utility vehicles since Flynn has returned... when time permits. Besides, he's taken over my nutzo hours and logged 87 hours in one week.  I'm finally breathing a sigh of relief and feeling human again.
 I've relished playing with my food again!
quail eggs

trying to mimic Todd's sandwich wreath...trying

Simple pleasures. Sometimes not so simple... a few days ago I made from scratch gelatin and flavored it with fresh squeezed lemons, then I picked lavender buds from my garden and made frosting out of them.  Now that was fun and weird!  
Maybe that's why I've been attempting to run, bike and swim more this week-- I'm eating like a hog!
Every day Dax and I have been swimming after our morning runs or after work, or both! I'd been scared of being chased by a water moccasin, nipped by a snapping turtle or cruised by an alligator, but logic finally (after 2 years) prevailed and I realized I have worse problems on my hands than an irritated snake.

Party on Garth.

Leaving work Wednesday night at dusk, I was worried Dax and I wouldn't make it the two miles back home with enough light.
I'd forgotten I was tethered to Flash Gordon.  Dax is pure speed, he galloped all out the entire way--- of his own accord. I was laying heavy on the brakes through the deep sand, to no benefit.


White knuckle delirious fun!
This Thursday afternoon, Flynn began what will be a couple days project bush hogging at the furthest end of the property.  Driving the cumbersome batwing unit back to the barn at night is very time consuming.  To keep Flynn from calling his taxi while I was busy feeding or administering Cody's inhalants, I left Flynn with a utility vehicle and I rode my bike back.
I believe in performing one good deed a day, bare minimum...
When I drove past this sight, I had to stop.

I couldn't tell what it was at first. But it looked all wrong.  I took a picture of it and zoomed in on my phone to make out it was a turtle hung up in a tree stump.  It must've tried to jump off its log, became wedged and a quarter of it was underwater, was it the head or the tail?  I splashed in the water and slung mud at it, no movement.  Surely dead. I didn't want to wet my sneakers and I wasn't about to wade out in all the mussel shells I could see in the mud.  I went to leave, then decided I simply couldn't chance it was still alive.  Without a saw, I spotted a slender dead tree in the woods and spent 10 minutes bending, twisting and whittling away at the ornery tree--- until I had my poking stick.

"Hello, anybody home?" 
Legs moved and a head popped out.  Forgetting all about sneakers, I rushed into the lake up to my shorts and wiggled and pried until she was freed.


That made both our days complete.

I believe that if you project and dole out positive energy, it finds you again and makes you richer. 
I'd left the dogs at home after lunch and Dax decided four hours was beyond his tolerance range.  He frequently does so by taking it out on pillow cases.  Instead of scolding him, as it was too late, I channeled his energy by having him pull me and Peter back to the barn for evening work.
older pic from another adventure

After work, with only a sliver of daylight left, we all ran down from the barn to the lake.  Peter and Garrett just watched from the dock as Dax and I swam laps around the lake.
As Dax couldn't be coaxed back out of the water, I pretended to walk off without him.  It worked, for a moment.  He passed me and kept on going, a white flash over the hill and away.  I pulled Peter home back in his wagon without assistance and marveled at how a 55 lb dog could pull roughly 240 lbs!  I was struggling!
Back at home, I did get my darn car and started driving all over the place looking for an idiot dog.  So much for keeping to a light carbon footprint. This should be how I conduct my next search party rescue:

I'd made a second pass by the barn when out of the dusk, a vision appeared and made my crying eyes dry instantly.  Dax almost broadsided me, or I almost ran him over, happened too fast, but when I'd screeched to a halt and flung my door open to look for a carcass, his head clobbered my nose as he leapt over me into his copilot seat.
Now that's how kharma works.  You help a turtle, then you find your dog unscathed, you may lose a pillow case along the way, but Kharma never said she was perfect.