Sunday, May 18, 2014

And Now For Something Completely Different


We had a little fun after work on Sunday.   6 cups water + 2 c. Palmolive + 1 c. corn syrup= massive bubbles.

Homemade hoop.


Mandatory equipment:  bubble popper.


"Next time add beef broth to the recipe, these balls taste awful!"


Life and death drama interrupted our games.


A hawk passed overhead and dropped its prey on the roof of the old farmhouse. 
Rescue 911 in action.  A ladder was quickly erected and a rake was used to pull the juvenile mockingbird off the hot tin roof... also before it rolled off into awaiting maws. 


Little guy says he's shaken up, but he'll be OK.


This Sharp-shinned Hawk had a case of the butter fingers.  The whole affair made my day: it was rewarding to be this mockingbird's Atticus and I spotted a raptor I'd never seen here at the farm.  Cool! 

Custom around here dictates that everything revolves around food.  Sunday night, I made sauerkraut in my new fermentation crock. 



6 cabbages will either become delicious kraut or end up feeding the worms in the compost pile in 6 weeks. 

I can't lift the lid for the entire time of fermentation--the anticipation will kill me.

My previous blog post may have some of you thinking that I'm that stuck up customer at Panera who wants organic soymilk for her coffee, wants to know if the coffee beans were shade grown...is the wheat in my pastry organic?  No fears, when I'm out, I'm thoroughly grateful someone else did the cooking.