Thursday, May 8, 2014

Bloom Where You're Planted

A stubborn and foolish nineteen year old immigrated to the U.S., determined to prove that she didn't need anybody's help.  She was going to make it on her own.  Baffling how stupid youth can be.




Twenty-two years old that Christmas morning and regretfully, wisdom wasn't one of my stocking stuffers... That would come much later.
I am Canadian, but my Alabama roots are two decades strong.  This is home, where friends know to lend a hand before you even ask.
My Spring trip back to Canada had been pushed back to August and then shoved into October due to Cole's surgeon's advice.  As I'm still paying off the last surgery, that future trip was in doubt.  I travel cheap: two weeks out West, 5600 miles driving, well under $1000 for everything.  Two weeks of lost wages, now that's what hurts. 
Enter Jinx's veterinarian, who also owns a bunch student rental houses, she offered me all the rollover work the first week in August.  Rollover is unique to college towns.  It's one week in between semesters where units changing tenants are vacant.  One sleepless week of resurrecting apartments desecrated by students.  It pays well.  Years ago, when I had employees, we would live out of my truck, working straight through the week, day and night, taking naps in the backseat.  I've only dabbled in it the past few years because it is so brutal; but this year, I'm going for it!  Canada, here we come, thanks Martha!!!
I get by with a little help from my friends.
All of us in the Smith clan have figured this out.
 
 
Axel was in lockup one morning, the herd had wandered away, but look who stuck with him:  his best buddy.
 
 
Cole's buddies are lending him a hand too.  His canine pals sojourning with us on the farm are helping to pay for his physiotherapy.  Three times a week, Cole spends an entire day at rehab.  One total hour of massage, work in the pool, agility work, all for $25/day.  I don't know why it's so cheap and I won't be asking that stupid question:  "Shouldn't you be charging more for this?".  The physiotherapist is insanely devoted and I'm allowed to stop by to visit--we get along great!
My Comeback Kid:
 
 
I can't wait to hit the trails with my kid again.  I'll be ready too.  I finally broke through a mental training barrier on Sunday.  It had been a while since I had run over 20 miles and I had begun to doubt if I could do it.
 
 
This is what I figured would happen.
Happily, I did my 20 miler.
 
 
 
 
Wasn't perfect though.  I started too late in the morning and by noon I was feeling heat exhaustion setting in.  I finished my last eight miles later in the evening.  Barrier broken, now moving on!
I can officially begin planning the running trip.
 
 
Maine, New Hampshire, Quebec, Ohio, state parks along the way, brace yourselves, we're coming to a trail near you!