Sunday, June 21, 2015

Hot as Hades

Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.


I may have moved only 45 miles southeast, but it feels like we're roasting at the equator lately.  The soil is akin to beach sand, cacti thrive in it, everything else... not so much.

All creatures great and small have been suffering through 100 degree days.
Geovani and I used two pairs of clippers to give Titan a full body clip to provide him with some relief from the heat.


Abandoned baby wrens were in my custody.
Couldn't leave them for any stretch of time, so they traveled with me.
Including into stores.
Breaking a plethora of health codes at Publix!

Keeping the dogs from over heating isn't easy either.  
One idiot in particular would chase a squirrel across the Sahara.
Air conditioned pups.
Another idiot will gleefully go running in this heat without proper hydration.  Shall we mention her name?  
In my defense, it was the best run I've had since tearing my foot ligaments.  On the trails with my trusty running buddies-- heaven!  I was back at the barn at mile 8 when I unclipped Cole and attempted to sprint the half mile back to my house.  I made it to the end of my driveway before collapsing.  Here is a benefit of living in a sandy area:  soft landing.  I spent some quality time inspecting grains of sand up close until I felt well enough to raise myself onto my knees.  I was wavering around on all fours like a drunk dog when the farm manager drove up behind me.  It's a good thing I don't embarrass easily because I'd be perpetually mortified.  I declined to ride back home, preferring to walk should the need to puke arise suddenly.  Yeah, yeah, I know better, did I mention how much fun I had though?

I thoroughly enjoyed moving my horses back into the new pasture I've been fencing off for them. 
So far from anything that I have to haul water in for them.
They were temporarily quartered a 40 minute walk away.
I lead Bella and Angus, Axel simply followed.  It helped to have Pete herding from the back!
Removing two weeks worth of manure from their borrowed paddock was far less enjoyable.  Five hours later...many, many trailer fulls.  My compost pile doth grow large!