Sunday, November 22, 2015

Being Thankful

Many things, I am thankful for this month.
One:  I've  been promoted to manager of the farm.
The employees here resent being called minions and they refuse to call me by my rightful name:  Supreme Leader.  But, I'm working on it.
In retaliation, I'm performing corporate restructuring.  
Garrett has been named CFO and Pete will be Party Planner.  Cole, the trust fund baby, will not be soiled by work.
In all seriousness, a huge thank you to my friend, Ann, who got me started on this dream farm.  And a tremendous thanks to my bosses who trust me with their spot in Paradise.

Next on the agenda:  gratefulness for strong friendships.  Geovani and I worked together for 10 years.  Even after being in each others face for 70 hours a week, we were like glue.
2003. 
2015.

What my Dad and I are both thankful for:  a day off.  Yes, for my father's birthday, I took him off the farm. We drove a couple of hours to Southern Georgia to visit ANOTHER farm.  Premeditated torture.  Plus, I brought all the dogs.
I couldn't figure out why we were the only ones enjoying a park on the banks of the Chattahoochee.  Gale force winds, perhaps? 
"Are we having fun yet?"

I can't vouch for my long suffering father, but I had a blast discovering forgotten gems of a town. My favorite:  Fort Gaines.  A frontier festival the previous day had left all the historic buildings open... 
Interlopers:

"I think I can see a golf course, salvation, in the distance."
Mercifully, we eventually made it to White Oak Pastures.
A five generation farm who bravely took the plunge into organic, sustainable agriculture over a decade ago and have proven that it can be done well and it can support an entire community.  If Armageddon comes, I'm heading there.  They are completely, completely vertically integrated.  From producing their own compost with all their waste to making their own sugar, they grow it all.  The farm restaurant is staffed by Elton John's former personal chef.  During the course of our lunch, we met the owner.  He invited me to drive my truck anywhere on his farm, as long as I closed the gates.  Then we met the sheep herdsman's wife.  What a bonanza, what a day trip!
And I came home with full coolers for many more meals.
Guinea fowl, goose, rabbit, lamb heart and kidneys, sausages, so much more. 
Thanksgiving came early to the Smith residence!