Thursday, June 16, 2016

Calgon Take Me Away

A principle of Stoicism: what makes us struggle paves the way to success.  I fundamentally believe that 99% of the time.  The other 1% of the time, I feel life is one big joke to see how far you can bend before you break. 
The Forces of Evil will not win.  Seeing as they're taking Cole's golden years, I'm F@#$!* stealing them back and giving them to a senior German Shorthaired Pointer who needs a home.  
This handsome older chap is available from one of the GSP rescue groups.  Seniors are always harder to place. When Cole departs, one of them will have a forever home. Dark forces better get used to the idea that I'm not going down easy.
Cole can't be replaced.  He is my once in a lifetime dog.  
When you pour love in and more is returned to you... isn't that the definition of a soulmate?  So, why does a soulmate have to be limited to a spouse?  Why can't it be a sibling, a grandparent, your art, your violin, your garden... a horse or a dog?
With my entire family up in Canada and my obstinate tendency to live as a hermit, it gets a little lonely and exhausting caring for so many animals alone.  Cole's been my rock, my protector, he's the one I rely on.
Now, he's relying on me to make the right decisions for his care.  
A bowl of ice cream helps the medicine go down!
All the research says the same thing:  high grade cancers with lymph nodes involvement are fast moving.  The surgeon completely removed the cancer cell producing factory, but frigging little worker bees are already in the lymphatic system.  Chemo in dogs is better tolerated than in humans, none of the nasty side effects.  The purpose is to slow or even make dormant the remaining cancer cells, buying him a few more good months.  Therefore, Cole received his first treatment at Auburn University today.  Some nausea can occur, but so far, he's an eating machine.
I've even had to switch him back to Slow Feed Dog Bowl to prevent him from Hoovering it all up in 10 seconds.
And he's back in bed with his posse.
As he can't jump up on beds, we're all crammed into a double bed on the floor of the harness and saddle room.  Beyond cozy!
While he was at Auburn, I ran to Georgia to see an orthopedic surgeon about my knee.  Plica syndrome.  I'd never heard of it either! As I don't have the time, nor the finances for another surgery (my insurance has a $3900 deductible), I elected for the cortisone shot and the hinged brace.
I walk like Frankenstein, but at least I'm walking.  When Cole's insurance reimburses me for his surgery, I'll get the arthroscopic surgery to resection the plicae.
Meanwhile, life goes on.  The garden needs constant tending.
Animals are always hungry.
Pete had a dental cleaning this week and X-rays showed he has mild hip dysplasia, so he's having to be medicated.
He's part pit bull, so I don't stick my fingers in his mouth.  I coat the pills in bacon and flour and put them on a pill doser!
And the poop patrolling, it seems like that's all I do sometimes.
Lard butt back there produces 75 lbs of the stuff per day. Took me two long evenings until 11 PM at night to fill that big wagon. Oh, so generous Tommy and Daphne!
And there are always emergencies with animals.  Today, after a grueling day between two states and two appointments, I came home intent on following doctor's orders and getting off my feet.  
The one horse in our herd who can't sweat had overheated.  By the time I got home and over to the barn around 7, his temperature was over 102'F.  Cool water dousing didn't help.  Desperate, I turned the AC in the office down to 65'F and we chilled for 2 hours.
Sorta comatose at first.

And back to the land of the living.  Scared me silly.  First thing tomorrow morning, we're building a wall for the wash bay and rigging up an window AC unit to be ready by afternoon.
Forces of Evil, once again busy trying to get the upper hand.  Nice try, now buzz off.
As long as you believe it in your soul, love always wins.  No matter the turmoil in the world, or at your door,  love floats above the murk.
You guys have proven that to me when I have been doubting it these past weeks.  All the kindness and concern I've received from all of you have turbo charged my little batteries. I hope one day I can be as good a friend to all of you as you've been to me.