Monday, October 10, 2016

Deboullie Experience

For the better part of a week, we explore Deboullie Ecological Preserve from our home base at Red River Camps. 
First order of business, canoeing or capsizing?


Pete and Garrett have never been in a boat, let alone a canoe.
Cole is a born seafarer.

With more than a little trepidation, I have help getting them loaded in the canoe and...
SUCCESS!!!
Pete quickly becomes a fan of this new mode of transportation that doesn't involve walking.
Chubby would probably float without the aid of a life preserver, but why take chances.
The more we go out, the more confident we all become.  This is Island Pond.
We eventually cruise all the 900 acres of water (except two small ones...reasons to return).
Here we are on a blustery day on Black Pond.
The scenery is so raw and breathtaking. The shores of Upper Pond.
Less than 2 miles from my cabin, we came here often.
Rain or shine, we were on water or on the trails.
Any day outside is better than a day inside.  We average 8 miles a day of hiking, on top of all the canoeing.
 Cole is always in the lead.
Garrett busts his gut trying to follow the leader.
Pete...
He follows the Snack Lady.
To his chagrin, we share.
After a day full of this:

... Cole and I dump the farm dogs at the cabin in an exhausted heap, and he and I tear through the woods as fast as we can go.  No backpack, no camera, no bear spray, free.
 I am most at home in the middle of the woods.  This is my habitat.
An ecosystem so delicate as this one cannot sustain high traffic.  Tread lightly.
And only take memories home.
I live my life through my dog's eyes.  The wonderment, the pure joy, his undaunted drive. Cole never worries where the trail will lead.


That's my job. To get us back from whence we he have come...which is way over there:
Garrett says:  "You're going to have to carry me".
Day after day of this pristine landscape, I'm so elated that I feel I can walk on water.
Red River Camps owner never should have told me of the Jesus rock smack in the middle of the lake.