Monday, November 7, 2016

New Arrivals

In Phenix City, Alabama there exists a small garden center that has the most amazing variety of everything under the sun.  I stopped by Monday to get ONE tree for the farm and this is what happened to me:
The owner of John's Garden Center is a fun guy.  I told him I needed cheap shrubs to finish my 800' hedge row and he told me he needed space to display Christmas trees. We have a deal. I plucked over 40 shrubs out of the back where he hides the shrubs too wretched to be sold... unless they are sold to moi at 90% off.
I most certainly did not pay $22.  Try $5.
Homely, but they have potential.
I purchased a mix of broadleaf evergreens.
And a handful of $32 (75% reduced) climbing roses to train on the fences.
I'd earmarked my $200 for my visit to the orthopedic clinic, but found this money better spent:
The truck bed was so full, we had to shove some in the cab.  Bliss.
The first half was planted last year, but I ran out of money and energy this year. 
 With patience came a windfall of a deal.

The dogs assist, as always.
Cole being overzealous, as usual.
My little helper.
My other two supervisors.
Probably taking bets if I'd finish by dusk.

Auxiliary shovel operator arrived in the nick of time.
Pete and Garrett lost their bets, job was completed.
Hurry up and grow.
Meanwhile, we rest.
And I eat more of my most delectable, insanely delicious, homemade beet and ricotta yogurt ice cream.
Thank you Helene Hunt for another inspired recipe!