Sunday, January 8, 2017

Old Man Winter

A Canadian Winter, that's my favorite season.  It doesn't translate in Alabama.  We don't get blanketed by 2' of snow, more like 2' of rain.  Pure drudgery, only if you let it...
Instead of gripping about having to spend Friday and Saturday nights sleeping in the barn to watch over the horses, I cater a big meal for the picnic at the barn.
It can be hard to sleep when one of your 14 bunkmates likes to kick his stall door, aside from that, it's magic to have all your best friends under one roof.
It's not a chore to put the blankets on the horses, if you turn it into a fashion parade.
Henry, in a chic little Schneider one piece.  Work it, baby.
Axel, throwing a profile after sashaying down the aisle.
Angus, our plus size model, sports a handsome Weatherbeeta jacket that's worth more that all my jackets combined... because he's worth it, darling.
I don't hoard much, but I do have an armoire full of horse jackets, all dating back to my draft horse rescue days.
"Does this make my butt look fat?"

So what if a Paint looks lost in a Clydesdale's clothes?
Here's Cody, the impetus for the ruling that all the horses were staying in the barn overnight.  I found him Friday (around quitting time, when else do they get sick?) trembling violently.  
No one goes down without a fight on my watch-- not even my fig trees.
See, it's fun to build teepees at a windchill of 18'F!  Well, that's even a stretch for me. 
Herding a neighbor's stray horse for hours isn't a joy either, but we're calling that one "getting my cardio for the day".  
Seek out the positive, even if you have to make it up!  
Good attitude helps if you dress appropriately.  NYC, Paris, Milan runways, look out:
Insulated bib overalls, Carhartt jacket,favorite scarf that looks like a dead calico, and the piece de resistance: Ontario Hydro lineman gloves.  Don't hate me because I know how to stay warm.
Saturday morning, we explorers discovered ice stalagmites rising from the ground.
Looks like Don King's hair.
In spite of all the preparations, one set of pipes burst... that's curmudgeon talk.
Thanks to all the prep, I only had to rebuild one line on Sunday afternoon.  AND we had all the parts in the shop, we have one of every size reducer bushing because that's the way we roll!  😎
So much crammed into our 40 hour weekend, that me and the boys are soaking in some R&R tonight.
No one is answering my call to room service for hot cacao, I wonder why?