Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Carlson Gets Rechristened

The new pup is unlike any of the dozen puppies, 30 dogs and many foster dogs I've loved over the years.  Out of all of them, only 3 couldn't make the transition from stray to family member and I consider those my 3 failures.  I've been thinking Carlson may be #4. 

You're thinking, how can something so cute be villainous?

 One of the strays I took in 10 years ago was an adult Rottweiler.  The day came where he'd recuperated from his neglect, put on 40 pounds to top the scales over 100...he tried his luck usurping me and I had a come to Jesus meeting with him.  From that moment, he became the best, most loyal dog.
Carlson doesn't take to being reprimanded.  He will throw an absolute tantrum, barking and growling at me if he doesn't get his way.  Mildly perturbing at 6 weeks of age, more concerning now that he's 15 lbs at 8 weeks.

The camel's back breaking straw came two Fridays ago in the garden.  I was told by the trainer to not let him take anything from me unless I've offered it to him.  He wanted a weed I had pulled and as I was on my knees, at his level, I thought this a golden training opportunity.  He disagreed, lunging for my face, latching onto my lip, hanging from it growling.  Astonishingly, he survived, but spent the night in his crate on the back porch where I didn't have to look at him.  
That's when I made serious attempts to return him and/or sell him.  
No luck, looks like he's mine.  

Regardless, the name of Carlson, meant to honor the late Coleman, was no longer befitting of him.  
Presenting to you: Dax.

Anyone know a good priest to perform an exorcism?
I may be worrying about the wrong thing, as he's fearless, keeping him alive on a huge farm should be my greatest concern.
At 7 weeks of age, I set him down in 4" of lake water to cool him off.  He proceeded to swim straight out into the lake.  I spent the rest of the afternoon working in wet clothes and shoes.  

He is unstoppable and nosy.

Hysterical at times.

Moments of levity might be his saving grace.  

Ever so helpful.

Misdirected energy at all times, but zealous.  

It's been a few days in a row that I've actually liked him.  He prefers Flynn and Peter over me.

Flinging himself out of the truck when he sees Flynn.

But I'm willing to try the adage 'Fake it till you make it'.  I'll pretend to love him to bits until one day I'll wake up and it will be true.
Until then, it's duty more than maternal love that kept me out mixing concrete until midnight.

To prevent him from darting out onto the dirt road, I'll line the board fence and gates with mesh and I poured long speed bumps to keep the pestilence from weaseling out under the gates. Oh, and I dug post holes and cemented in posts for the new fence I'm running behind the house.  
Duty, remember -- not love.

I mean it  ;)