Sunday, June 28, 2020

Country Roads

My favorite restaurant is Wiley's Pit BBQ in Smut Eye Alabama.  Middle of nowhere.  I mean like Timbuktu.

An hour south, down potholed county roads.  Run by a preacher man and devoted staff.  I love the people as much as the award winning ribs.  

Friday night, I made the pilgrimage. Worth the 2 hours driving?

YES! And I brought a slab of ribs home to gnaw on for a couple days.  Thanks to Covid, the BBQ shack's dining area is closed, only take out orders available and only on Friday nights.  
I found my own picnic area:  

A cemetery. Hidden gem discovered because I stopped to read a historic marker.

Three Notch Road extended 233 miles from Georgia to Florida.  Begun in 1824, it heralded the future settlement of Alabama's wilderness.

Can you imagine British settlers' first encounters with rattlesnakes and alligators?

Bless their pioneering hearts.

I complain when I have a chainsaw and a tractor.  They had axes and, if lucky, a mule.

I even found the remnants of the original Three Notch Road.

Backwoods Alabama ghost town.

Every home virtually abandoned.

Creepy.

A lone inhabitant.

Never know what you'll find down a country road.