Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Mental Health Day Musings

Wednesday had monumental gaps in the work schedule.  Get on the horn and drum up other jobs!  Not so fast, not today.  What are those mental health days salaried folks talk about?  Remaining work was pushed into 3rd shift hours, I grabbed the dog and went hiking at Lake Martin.


The Cherokee trails (www.cherokeeridgealpinetrail.org) meander around the bays.  A jewel of a place.  Hike a bit, swim a bit. Repeat.





Not another soul around, even the few boaters were off at a distance.  Sanctuary.
I was gunning to do the 7 mile course, but by noon, the temperature was getting too hot for Cole. The high was 95'F with 70% humidity.  Even though most of the trails are shaded, we were fading.  As a dog's only manner to dissipate heat is to transpire through his pads and by panting, he's at a disadvantage.  When the air temperature comes close to his core temperature (101'F), he can quickly overheat by panting in hot air. 

On the way home, I stopped at Millstone Nursery in Walnut Hill, a Japanese maple emporium.  After an hour, Cole gave me that look of "Can we go now?". 

 
It's a good thing I didn't have my flatbed trailer and someone else's checkbook...
 
 
Face plant.  Air conditioning is his friend.
 

Dork.
 
 Events of the past week can be qualified across the entire spectrum:  from fabulous to downright disenchanting.
 
Epic Failure:
 
 
A dozen homegrown cabbages prepared and fermented for 6 weeks into an inedible mess of mold.  Yet another attempt to make sauerkraut gone sour (really!).  40 pounds of lost kraut, retail value:  $120. 
 
 
The $5 store variety only depressed me further. 
Jamie 1 - 4 , I shall make good sauerkraut again, if it's the last thing I ever do!
 
Sad times on Sunday:
 
 
The bluebird pair nesting in the farmhouse lost all their babies.  I was working outside when the birds began to use this distressing call I'd never heard before.  They flittered at the entrance of the nest, but refused to go in.  That's when I saw the snake.  By the time I got the ladder from the barn, it was too late.  He was making his escape and I couldn't reach him.  I don't know what exactly I was planning on doing anyway, Heimlich Maneuver?  For two more hours, the broken hearted pair called and flittered around the nest.  The nest has since been abandoned, for two years they'd returned... friggin' snake, I hope he choked on the beaks.
 
Another baby rat snake was found in the yard and relocated.
 
 
He's lucky I found him before the bluebird incident, otherwise his fate may have been different.
 
Tommy played King of the Castle on a day that I was in a rush.
 
 
 "None shall pass".  Cute, kid.
 
One variety of lotus finally bloomed.  A high point to the week.
 
 
Biggie sized.
 
 
No Photoshop here, iridescent pink messes with your eyes!
 
Beneath, Wilbur has been fattening up on the catalpa worms that cover the nearly defoliated tree in my yard.
 
 
Hors d'oeuvres served daily to my frog.  What's he waiting for?  When will he turn into my prince?
 
A little late, but Cole now has health insurance.  Previous inquiries into pet coverage results:  too expensive, too complicated, not accepted everywhere.  My latest Journal of Veterinary Medicine had an article on insurance.  Trupanion provides one comprehensive plan for dogs, has its own underwriting company and pays 90% of all illnesses and accidents (they haven't met Cole yet).  My regular vet and the vet school's billing department both endorsed Trupanion, so it is so.  Cole has better coverage than me.
 
When Cole isn't busy helping Liz teach a class or guarding her office, he can be found in the Physiotherapy Lab strutting his stuff. 
 
 
The man in motion:
 
 
When life gets overwhelming, seek out inspiration, no matter how tiny of a strand it may be, grab it!
 
 
Liz and Cole sending me off on my day with a lightness to my step.
 
But, not light enough.  My personal trainer, Ike, attacked me on Wednesday morning with his fat calipers, scales and this high tech gizmo that measures your % body fat by shooting an electrical impulse through your body. 
 
 
My goal of getting my marathon body back, like elite runner, Shalane Flanagan, are further away now than when Ike and I began to work together.
 
 
I lost my groove.  Running isn't fun without the Kid.  He's on the brink of being ready to run again and I'll be the one slowing us down.  Time to pull my head out of the dark place it's been stuck.  Back to business, if only to cheer up Ike.  He was more disappointed in my results than me!  Pitiful. 
I saw some silver linings.  Here's the rundown:  body fat % down slightly, circumference of biceps, calves, legs and shoulders all increased by an inch, but I put on 5 pounds.  Oops.  Look at the bright side, Ike... you're doing your job, I've gained +5 pounds of muscle.  It's under a layer of insulation, but cheer up, it's there! 
 
 
So, maybe this should be our new training goal (less Liz Carmouche's tattoos and boxing gloves).
 
If I start doing my part and watch my calorie intake, Ike and I might be onto something.  I will be a force to be reckoned with at trail races.
 
 
I'll be able to clothesline anyone who dares to try passing me.  Grabbing those strands of optimism and holding them tight.
 
Losing weight might get a little easier this Summer if more crops fail.
 
 
Miniscule harvest of itty bitty Brussels sprouts.  Ten times more energy expended cultivating, harvesting and cooking than their caloric value.
 
Hopefully, the olive tree will produce olives this year.
 
 
Infant olives the size of pin heads right now.
 
No matter how dejecting circumstances can be, I tell myself that at least I'm not the one who was confronted by a wild creature in Auburn's neighborhood park, Town Creek Park.  Imagine the change in undergarments you would need if you were my client whose dog irked this creature?
 
 
This little kitty is some sort of cross between a serval and a domestic cat.  That's what the owner told the police anyway... the police who showed up with hunting rifles.  The feline had been missing for a couple days.  The owner managed to intercept at the 11th hour.
 
'When we keep wild animals as pets, we turn them into something for which nature has no place.'  National G, April 2014