Saturday, June 7, 2014

Start Packing

For a two week, cross country trip to cost less than $800, be jam packed with adventures,while ensuring Ole King Cole is safe and well equipped...much planning is required. 6 months on average. 
My Northeastern trip had been plotted since February, but will need some tweaking now that I'm skipping out on New England in order to spend more time in Canada. With 4 more months until departure, I think I can manage. I dunno, might be close.


We're ready to hit the road.
Next on the agenda:  our Winter ski trip to the Northwest.  Cole and I tinkered with skiing and snowshoeing during a trip to Vermont a few years ago.


The seed was planted.  We would skijor again.  This time with proper equipment.


Cole's knee surgeries shelved my plans to take him to Minnesota in January for skijoring competitions.  Taking a Southern, short haired dog, with no Winter fur to a Northern state means having all manner of clothing to protect him.
Got the snowsuit.


-20'F in Vermont in 2011, laugh all you want, but none of his bits fell off.
Introducing my mentors at Howling Dog Alaska. Friday, the mother lode of gear arrived.


My, my, someone is not looking amused. 


Ear warmer and new spare harness.


Onesie prevents harness chaffing (He'd been rubbed bald in Vermont).  No opening beneath for proper undercarriage protection.


Leggings warm and protect from abrasive, icy snow... had trouble with that in VT too.


From this:


Atrophied right rear leg after surgery.

To this, after +1 month of 3 days a week with the physiotherapist:


Oh yeah, that's the finest derriere anywhere!
He's a rock star alright, and I'm his biggest fan.  Oh so sad on so many levels, but true.