Tuesday, June 3, 2014

One Thing Leads to Another

Tuesday, my friend, my client, my favorite artist announced she was having a studio sale.  Nan Cunningham has given me some of my most cherished possessions:


A portrait of Angus, Bella and Axel.

You know who.

I tried to resist, I really did.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

When I saw this landscaped painting,


 I was taken back to my run with Cole in Abiquiu, New Mexico.  The land of impossible colors.



OK, Ansel Adams I am not, but the Abiquiu landscape was unearthly, no wonder Georgia O'Keefe established herself here. 
(Nor am I a good art photographer either, sorry!)
My new painting got me dreaming about running with Cole again.  The physiotherapist is confident that he'll be ready for a road trip in Sept/Oct.  I've put off this trip so often, that I'd almost given up hope. 
Time to drag out all the travel guides again. Rather than attempt to run 9 Northeastern states at a whirlwind pace, I'm focusing on heading directly back home to Canada.  Familiar forests are calling me.


Algonquin Park, Ontario.  'Tamaracks' by Tom Thomson.  Before his untimely death in 1917, Thomson helped lay the ground work down for Canada's most influential artistic movement embodied by the Group of Seven artists.

Nan's landscape painting brought this all back to me.


As a girl, my Dad introduced me to the beauty of Algonquin Park during a two week canoe trip.  30 years have elapsed.  Too long.  Homesick.
Unexplainable how art can stir the soul.  bring back memories. smells. feelings. joy.

Appetite, let's not forget appetite.


Pears, by Nan, now hang in my kitchen, inspiring me to spend a few hours creating supper.
Homegrown onions, garlic, my canned tomatoes, my venison and Rancho Gordo heirloom beans.  Cumin and chili powder and I'm off in epicurean bliss tonight. 


I grow some of my own dried beans, but lack the garden space to be totally self-reliant in that department.  Enter my latest book on heirloom beans, which connected me to Rancho Gordo, in California, my new online source of the best, I mean best, tasting beans.


Books will be my ruin, or the only reason a tornado won't be able to lift my house up off the ground!