Friday, August 22, 2014

R.I.P.

Wilbur has been M.I.A. for a few weeks now.

After two years in my lotus pond, I figured he'd finally found a woman and run off.  
That's what I want to believe.  What's closer to the truth is that a predator lunched on him.
While rushing around this morning to harvest some arugula for the chickens, I almost stepped on a snake caught in the protective mesh around my sweet potatoes.  You can never be prepared for those kinds of surprises.
This yellow bellied water snake was fortunate I found it before the blazing heat of the day cooked it.  The snake was so tangled in the mesh that it took me a long time to cut it free.  Plus, it wasn't being cooperative...


I can't be mad at the snake, it's his nature, but I did want to relocate it out of my yard.  As soon as it senses it was free it wriggled out from under my stick, went between my legs and escaped.  As I don't bounce out a kneeling position as I did when I was 20, it took me a moment to stagger to my feet.  I played tag with him in the basil and finally gave up.

Farewell, my friend Wilbur and I suppose welcome to the family Seth, the snake.  

Starting my Friday off late for work was an omen.  By late afternoon, I'd hit a brick wall.  I struggled to finish my jobs, but ended up running out of time and energy.  I was so disappointed to have to choose between losing part of my long awaited weekend off or starting Monday behind on two jobs.
Cole greeted me at the door with my slippers in his mouth, we did the ritual chasing around the house. He was more of a spaz that normal, he then grabbed my work bag and took off with it, spilling my appointment book, wallet, notes everywhere.  
I've been reminded of some important lessons in life today.  Life's short, cherish your loved ones while you can (thank you Seth for that harsh reminder). And live in the moment.  Cole is, as usual, right.  Work will be waiting for me tomorrow or Monday, but tonight, I don't worry about it because I have more important things to do, like chase my kid around the dining room table to get my slippers back!