Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Wash Day

I had last weekend off and made the most of it.  Quality time spent with all the critters, doing what comes naturally to me:  cleaning.

Saturday morning, I awoke with a deep desire to wash all the animals.  Only Morel and the chickens were spared.

Rub-a-dub dub. Tommy and Mack required a full bottle of shampoo.

All horses washed and squeegee clean!

Even my neighbor's donkey fell victim to the hose.

FYI, donkeys don't like to get wet.  I wasn't sure, but I know now.

If only I cared as much for my own hair as I do for my horses...
Bella reminded me of a 1970's game show host before I put her forelock braid back in.

Braiding helps her keep a little cooler without that heavy mane on her neck.

I opted not to braid Angus' forelock again.  It makes his head look fat.  I worked on the opposite end instead.

A tail braid to keep the top from getting tangled.  Not merely kissable, but croquable, as my French grandmother would say.
Let it be noted that Rat Terriers share a donkey's dislike of water.  

By mid afternoon, I'd given everyone a spa treatment.  I later read that the heat index was 113'F on Saturday, which explains why I was feeling icky by about 4 PM, having spent most of the day outside.  As I was carrying supplies back into the house, I fell, going up the  stairs (requiring much more ability than falling down the stairs).  My knee received a good bashing, but the judges only gave me a 6.4.  To raise my score, my next routine involved falling into the house through the back door and catching my heel on the bottom of the sharp metal door.  I earned a 9.1 and a mulched up heel.  That will keep me from running for at least a few days.
Later, I bent over to open the dishwasher, felt dizzy, grabbed for the counter and slapped my water glass into the dishwasher.  Glass shards flew everywhere, not good for a barefoot nitwit.  Mr. Bean climbed over the kitchen island, thinking she'd avoided the debris field, to find glass upon setting foot on the opposite side.  
#1 I'm not flexible.
#2 I need stronger reading glasses.
Result:  picking glass out of my foot was not fast and easy.
My headache persisted into Sunday, so I stayed indoors most of the day.  The Southern phrase "used to could" applies to my life more and more these days.  I used to could work outdoors in any weather, but next time, when they issue a Heat Warning, I'd better heed it!
The Spring Cleaning continued unabated.  By Sunday night, the house scrub down was complete.  I wash my windows every couple of months, not only because I'm OCD, but because I love to savor my million dollar view.


Correction:  multi-million dollar view...

No more time off predicted until Cole and I leave for Canada at the end of September. We will sneak some fun in somewhere, but this past weekend was the last hoorah.  
For the past month, I'd been trying to include Jinx on our walks and canoe rides, thinking I could take him with us on this trip.  I hate leaving him behind when I go on long trips with Cole.  He's well cared for here at the farm, he gets to go visit with the neighbors 'at the big house'.  Jinx may not have the privilege of those visits this time because the neighbor's dog's arduous love of Jinx got out of hand last month.  
Registered sex offender.
During one of our pasture walks, Jinx tried to rebuff his advances and they nashed teeth.  Jinx-a-roo lost.  His wittle lip and gums were cut up.  The only thing he would eat for a couple of days was yogurt.  
My drama queen.

Time for a family meeting.

When offered adventure travel, Jinx decided to take his chances here with Lester the Molester.  
Glad that's settled.