Thursday, February 16, 2017

Peter Steals the Day

The plan was to trot around the BLM land outside our trailer for an hour before heading out to Casper to ski.

Pete hijacked out plans. Here's how it went down.

It's 20'F when we leave, we're all bundled up.  Seems oxymoronic to find cacti in such cold temperatures.

Eventually, the dogs shed their jackets, guess who has to carry them?

A huge herd of cattle are roaming the valley, so we hike the hillside just below the ridge.

Jack rabbits are everywhere, keeping Cole and Garrett amused. 

Pete appears content to simply follow me.

Appearances can be deceiving. The whole time we're hiking, I'm looking for a way up onto the mesa. The ridge is a sharp, straight, impenetrable barrier. We walk at least 2 miles along the edge. Suddenly, I realize Pete isn't behind me.  I call.  

How to give me a heart attack. I backtrack a quarter mile, but can't find where he got up, so we keep walking along the edge, with our gargoyle peaking his head over to check our progress.


The mountain goat would not say how he managed. I didn't pack any water, the dogs are thirsty, and after half an hour of walking, it's not looking good...

I'm videoing Pete up on his perch, when to my surprise :



For crying out loud!!!

I find where Cole has scampered up.



There's no bringing them down, we have no choice but to go up. Garrett can't manage on his own, I have to help.
Lovely, now we're all stuck up here.

At least the view is incredible.
The only place I'm sure we can get down is back in the hamlet of Alcova, where the highway bissects the ridge.
So we walk and walk.

Passing our trailer. Thank you, genius. We make it down. Amazing how a stroll turns into a half day adventure!