Wednesday, May 29, 2013

HEADING HOME

Kenny and Renee Russell operate a draft horse farm in Mississippi.  For years, they've hosted classes on how to farm with horses.  This is where I met the Mitchells and Gina, birds of a feather do flock together!


A part of the student body at the Russell School about 6 years ago.  Good grief, I still wear the red T and Dickie pants, I guess I need to update my wardrobe!




My Dad even learned to plow!



I bought that plow and the Mitchells wedged it in Dad's rental car.
 Eventually, I brought Kenny a team of Belgians to train.


Kenny working Indy and Opie.
 Indigo and Opal had the craziest blue eyes, hence the names I gave them.  I'd drive to MS on weekends to visit with them while they were in school.


Me, discing my rodeo arena over and over again.  Fun times.
 OK, enough strolling down memory lane, back to my stop at the Russell's!

Cole was very excited to see that Kenny now had chickens!


They still spend every spare moment supporting their nieces' barrel racing habit.  Renee is prepping a horse for another day of competition.




In my opinion, the most beautiful view of a horse.


Proud Papa and his ace team.



Sadly left Kenny and Renee's farm Sunday morning.

The trip isn't over until you roll into your driveway.  Part of a day left before I had to be at work and I was going to milk all I could out of it.


Watching seagulls while riding the ferry from Dauphin Island, AL.



Dog beach at Fort Morgan.
 Cole can brag that he drank water from Lake Superior and the Gulf of Mexico.  Yeah!  The half mile stretch of sand was littered with dead fish.  The smell was a bit nauseating and deterred me from swimming. 
The tour of Fort Morgan was interesting.  Completed in 1834, the fort's purpose was to prevent enemy forces from entering Mobile Bay.  The fort has been modified over the years,the older sections are incredible!


the entrance


Cole in a cannon well



Just following the tour guide!


Memorial Day traffic delayed my escape from the Florida.  I was getting a little frustrated with it all in Pensacola when I spied a college campus that appeared to have meandering sidewalks between the buildings.  A good spot for a break.  Perfect as it turns out.  A connector trail leads to the Jones Swamp Trail.  A boardwalk has recently been built over a wetland area.  How cool to happen upon that?!


Great place for a short run.




Short 2.5 miles, but it averted road rage.
 
The plan had been to be in Slocumb, AL at 5 PM, in time for milking at the Alabama's Own Organic Dairy.  I didn't get there until 7.  I did get to meet the owners and walk around to inspect the farm that produces my milk.  I love knowing where my food comes from! 



Pity I missed the 48 stall rotating milking carousel in action.


Unabashed plug for their business....available at Earth Fare in Auburn.


The vacation came to a close around 10 PM Sunday night.  What an adventure!  It wouldn't have been possible, nor as fun without the support of my clients (who allowed me to muck up our schedules), my friends (who cheered me on and gave me sustenance), to my neighbors (who tended to my loved one left behind), my bovine vet, Dr. Carson (who fast tracked Mack's care so we wouldn't miss our trip) and my canine vet, Dr. Moore (who mends Cole on a regular basis)!

I met so many interesting and kind people, saw so much of the landscape...somehow it made me appreciate my life on this Alabama plantation even more.


I need to pull the portable coop back out into the pasture before Cole digs a trench around it! He's happy we're home.



My goatlet, Morel has outgrown my rat terrier, Jinx.


No need for Peterson's Guide here!  My daylilies are all about to pop.  Yipee!


19 states in 5600 miles.
Only one warning for speeding.
$2.50 left in my wallet.  Three months saving and I remained under budget, thank you very much.
3 toe nails sacrificed to the trail gods.
Would have loved to see more State Parks, National Forests and run some more miles, next time...



Pin points indicate all the places where Cole and I have trail run in the past 5 years.

 26.  The number of states we've covered trail running.  Why not do the whole country?  Yes, lets....