Monday, May 13, 2013

THE FLATLANDS, Day 3

Sunday morning began with a 4.3 mile trail run on the Argyle Lake trails in Illinois.

An oasis amid fields and fields and fields...

Wildflowers everywhere...


Mayapple, I believe.

 I never thought to pack my Peterson's Guide to Wildflowers....as if I had room in the car for one more thing.

As of yet, still unidentified


Glorious Jack-in-the-Pulpit


Trilliums!
Fording the canal was a refreshing experience.

A very good morning on the trails.

3rd pair of trail shoes now waterlogged


This is why I love side roads:  my 2nd round barn sighting!!!!



Colchester, IL.  A privilege to have seen it.

Setting up at Pulpit Rock Campground before dark---imagine that!


One of only two tents. We're right on the river.

I even had time for an 11.9 mile run on the Trout Run Trail that loops around Decorah, IA.  Great views of farms and sandstone bluffs AND nesting bald eagles.

Bald eagle

You can't see it, but there's a baby being fed by a parent. Cheap Malaysian camera!


Wind farm---they're colossal.



Running buddies


Trout Run Trail, IA
 Sunday night I was at a laundrymat attempting to rid myself of the dead fish smell Cole had gifted me.  They had Wi-Fi.  Only this morning do I discover that my tent site allows me to borrow a neighbor's signal.  Ha!  So, I'm cozy in my sleeping bag, waiting for the frost to dry off my tent so I can pack it up.

Another day, another state.