Tuesday, July 22, 2014

From the Penalty Box

I've seriously reprimanded myself.  During the past few weeks, I've been recuperating from a back injury curled up in bed with my laptop.  For three years, my pledge to myself was that for every four documentaries, I could watch one show purely for entertainment.  Most times, I hold on to a DVD for a month before I have a chance to watch it.  But, with the mail-in center  for Netflix in Birmingham,  a DVD mailed in one morning results in a new one by the next day... causing me to seriously overindulge the last two weeks.


Therefore, the diet has begun:  restrictions on my online time and I cancelled my Netflix plan. Take that you bad girl!


I hadn't posted anything on my blog in a couple of weeks because the Blogger site has decided to block me from uploading pictures.  Technology is dastardly. Two weeks of upgrading operating systems, defragging, compatibility view changes... to no avail.  My amateur techie work will probably end up costing me double the usual shop fee when I bring my laptop to my repair guy today!


Before I lose my laptop, let me highly recommend a documentary and a TV series.
What Plants Talk About is a Nature documentary that is absolutely fascinating.  Did you know that big daddy trees in the forest help feed their own offspring?  I'm not telling you how, you'll have to watch.  I might not be able to use my chainsaw for a while...


The 12 part TV show is a political drama/police mystery called Salamander.  It's set in Brussels and is in Dutch and French with subtitles.  Spine tingling suspense and beautiful streetscapes.  I've been to Brussels twice, but almost a decade ago.  Watching the show, I felt like I had my backpack on again and I was marching through town trying to see every inch of it, every embassy, every statue.  Ahhh memories, if that's all I have left when I get old, at least they'll be good ones.