Monday, October 19, 2015

Remains of September and Bits of October!

For one of my catering gigs, I used all recipes sent to me by my friend, Helene.  We share the same birthday, but are separated by 57 years.  Oh, stop trying to do the math in your head.  I'm 44, she's 101.
If it wasn't for Helene's care packages full of recipe, editorial, news and travel clippings, I'd be completely clueless to what's going on in the world outside my farm fence. 
Admittedly, trying out recipes for the first time, on clients, isn't recommended procedure.  Adds to the drama and stress level!
  Chicken breasts beaten flat and rolled around asparagus and provolone cheese, then coated in a pistachio crust.
Asian eggs.  The shell is cracked during boiling to allow anise and soy to penetrate the egg. Delicate and savory.
The best baby back ribs.  Starts the day before by milling the spice rub from fresh seeds, my coffee grinder will never be the same, but that's OK.
Thanks, Helene, it was a successful long weekend!

In other happenings on the farm, we've had to perform a tooth extraction on our eldest horse.  This friend of the farm is playing around now feeling the horse's molars, but she jumped in when needed and helped our vet by grasping the tongue and keeping it out of the way.
The herd increased by two in September.
I dragged our horse trainer, Tommy, on a 12 hour road trip to try out some new horses.  We intended on finding one, but a second prospect was too good to leave behind.  I rode Oreo bare back, without reins, while squealing, throwing my jacket over his head, pretended to fall off my draping myself over his neck, nothing made him lose his cool.  This is what is called a bomb proof horse and perhaps the new love of my life (don't tell Cole).
This is Tommy riding The Most Wonderful Horse in the world, OREO!

Speaking of Cole, he's had more issues with the blasted abscess. Going on two months now.
Captain Conehead had another procedure last week to reopen the wound, debride the tissue and hopefully, drain.  
His Grandma provided plenty of loving while she was here.
My stepdad and mom flew down from Canada.  As per tradition, Cole and I hike or run on our birthdays.  This year, we had a party!

Three dogs and three people, traversing all the northern trails.  Thanks, Mom and Chuck for the best birthday week.