Thursday, November 14, 2019

Micah, Micah, Micah

Dax and his antics always take first stage, leaving little room for other primadonnas.
Micah found a way to draw everyone's attention a couple weeks ago.

My 9 month old puppy began to elicite pain responses from simply yawning to opening his mouth to eat.  The usual suspects of broken tooth, foreign body, fracture were all eliminated.  Suspicion pointed to masticatory myostitis, a serious autoimmune disorder which can be a lifetime battle using Prednisone.  Not a happy diagnosis.

The means to determine a positive diagnosis involve a blood test and a muscle biopsy.  The biopsy can be tricky and we are referred to the neurology department at Auburn.  They are booked until mid January.  I'm desperate, I call all the veterinary neurology departments in a 300 mile radius.  I find a clinic in Atlanta that can see him if brought in as an emergency.

  Done. 

That Sunday at 1 AM, we head to Blue Pearl Hospital in North Atlanta. Dax in tow, because who knows what mischief Evil Kneivel would find if left at home.
Micah is admitted by 4 AM and, exhausted and worried, I decide Dax and I deserve some shut eye.  
The only hotel to take us at 5 AM is a Hyatt.  At this point on a budgetary scale, I say fuck it.

We snag some precious sleep and return to visit with Micah.

He's next in line for a CT Scan. Dax and I twiddle our thumbs for hours waiting.

Petsmart is a good place to waste some time.

Somebody thinks he's in heaven.

I even find a Duluth Trading Company store and chose an outrageous hat for myself, because having fashion sense has never been my forte.

Whole Foods is also around the corner.

Whole Foods hot bar, my favorite restaurant!

By the time I get the call that they believe Micah may actually have an abscess deep in some tissue under his eye, it's Atlanta rush hour.  I'm told I can return home and  pick him up after he's spent the night on strong antibiotic IVs.

My little warrior and I head home.
The next day, we do it all over again.

Micah is glad to be home.  Seems to be improving slightly every day on the double antibiotic regiment.  Test results from UCSD still pending.  Keep your fingers crossed.