Friday, December 6, 2019

Dodge Ramcharger Comes Home

So, my mechanic tells me my beautiful 1979 Dodge Ramcharger isn't road worthy yet, not even close. Hard to start, likes to stall, something fishy going on with tranny and doesn't respond well to pressure applied on brake pedal.  Meh... pesky details.
I put my good luck owl hat on and bolster myself to lock horns with Bubba.  "You're not taking it", "Don't be a big ogre, I'm taking it", "you won't make it", "maybe, maybe not".

Initially, it looks like he's going to win because each time I put it in reverse, she stalls.
I coo her name "C'mon Bumble, let's go home". And we're off, rattling down the road, checking my rear view mirror to see if Bubba can catch me!

Sooo, she runs too rich and needs to be thrown in neutral far in advance of any stopping, still we chug down the back roads towards the farm.
The dirt roads teach me to hang on tight, as the front end has more play in it than a merry-go-round.

Still, she cruises. I'm smiling so much my face hurts.  We get within a mile of the house and the stalling begins in earnest.  I barely get her in the drive when she says "that's enough for today". Bumble gave 'er all she had and now I can take over swapping out her carburetor and drooling through the JC Whitney catalog for replacement parts.

A Holley or Edelbrock carb?... decisions, decisions.

This is a thing of beauty.

The dogs and I spend hours crawling through and under it. Licking and in my case, poking, everything.

40 years of smells.  Bonanza!

She's solid underneath.

Micah prefers to be a backseat driver.

Dax definitely prefers shotgun.

I do believe we all approve.

Garrett, no more bewildered than normal... Peter, absent, signaling his approval from his perch on the couch... All 5 in agreement, she's a keeper! 

When vehicles were built to last.

I grew up loving wing windows.

Nothing aerodynamic about this baby! Square and solid as Gibraltar.

What a productive day off it has been!!!  I love going back to work more tired than when I left!


Oh dear Bumble, how I love thee.