Sunday, March 20, 2022

Projects

 Two years ago when I returned to college, I put all my projects on hold.  Well, I couldn't stand it any longer, I had to build something, or I was gonna die.  The bunkbed project wetted my appetite.  I wanted more.



First on the agenda;  a new chicken coop for the 25 chicks residing in my bath tub.  



Yes, genius ordered chicks back in the Fall and they arrived as scheduled Jan 31... yet, I wasn't quite ready.  Murray McMurray is a hatchery in Iowa that ships sexed heirloom breed chicks.... which means no bothersome roosters in the lot, all females.



I'm not keen on the shipping part, but there's no other way to get vaccinated, sexed chicks form a closed flock.  With all the poultry diseases running around now, I don't bring in anything from an open flock.

When the central heat in my house failed for 4 days, I bundled up all the dogs in down comforters and moved the chickens to the office.



Now it was urgent to get my new coop built!

I used a round bale hay dispenser that Flynn had built for my cattle.  It was no longer square or plumb because the ox had batted it around for 2 years, but it was solid and roomy.



I had saved the storm windows from my house that's being renovated.  Before you ask why I'm not working on that instead... simple, I don't want to hamper progress.  My contractor is working there sporadically, and I know better than to 'help' and get in his way.  I'll have plenty of time to do what I excel at: painting and landscaping.  



Right now, it's his show.







Also upcycled was the metal security door from my other house.





Quite a few late nights after work spent on building the coop.  Chicks moved in 10:30 PM.  Insulated with heat lamp and heating pad... Taj Mahal of coops.



Spent a couple other nights painting it to match my house and garden shed.




When it finally warmed enough, my friend came to take her half of the order and left me with 12 happy hens.  



The egg production should being by the end of May.

Next project:  a cabinet for all the dog harnesses and leashes residing in random buckets and hanging from every coat hook.




An old door and some excess lumber my contractor bought... note to self, never use my electric planer indoors.





Progressing nicely.  Oh the fun I have at 2 AM...



Half loaded. Trust me, I have enough harnesses for the Iditarod.



All organized and out of sight.  I keep expecting Dr. Who to walk out of it.

My Bob The Builder side is satisfied for a while, I can go back to studying in the evenings.