Sunday, October 2, 2022

Cody-Pooh

 For months I agonized about the fate of the farm's horses after the sale.  One in particular worried me: Cody.



Also known as Asthma-Boy.  Not everyone's favorite patient.



Cody was retired from riding almost as soon as he'd been brought to the farm 10 years ago because of his unpredictable nature.  I should've been suspicious when the previous manager told me I was welcome to try riding him.  He was visibly disappointed when Cody returned to the barn, with me still on his back.




A kinship was born.  If you were consistently kind and quiet with him, encouraged him, protected him from other bully horses, he gave you his heart.  If you rushed him or scared him, he'd ruin your day. 



He had the biggest heart. 



When he developed asthma, we aggressively altered barn protocol to lessen dust, molds, pollen.  We vacuumed the hay lofts and rafters, built him an air conditioned stall for the summers, never cut grass around him, he received daily breathing treatments.  And he kept trucking along, getting better every Fall after the grasses had died and the humidity stops wreaking havoc with his sick lungs.







Then he could run, albeit not great.  More like the fat kid in PE who wheezes.  But quality of life shouldn't be measured by what you can't do anymore, it should be enjoyed for what you can still do.



Swimming was one of his favorite things.  Snacking definitely in the top 5.  Being the last one to the barn for supper, #1 fav thing to do.




I rehabbed broken down draft horses when I had my own rescue, I had some who were obliging, others resigned to the treatments, one particular 2400 Belgian mare was murderous, but most tolerated being saved.  Cody was different, he was grateful.  



Instead of starting to improve as this Summer wore down, he started a downward trajectory.  It was with the heaviest heart that I kissed my baby boy for the last time on September 19th.



Some horses look into your soul and you can see theirs.  He wasn't even my horse, but when it's my turn, I'll not head towards the white light, I'm making a bee line for the Rainbow Bridge.  That's where my peeps are, and I know there will be a chubby grey quarterhorse waiting on the other side.



                                                          Cody

                                                     2002 - 2022