Tuesday, March 26, 2013

BABY GOATLET

Cole has been usurped as His Highness of the house.  The bottle fed goat kid is stealing his spotlight.  Cole walks past her with the most loathsome looks.

Cole so very disdainful of the newbie
 For all his veterinary advice, Dr. Kjar was modestly compensated.  The two dogs, the goat and I took him out for ice cream one evening.  He's my #1 Go To Guy for farm animal concerns.

Someone who deserves many more ice cream outings for all his help over the years!
 I put up a valiant effort, but I lost my heart to the baby goatlet.  She has since been named:  Morel.  

Morel, 3 days old and already at work helping Mom
 Hey, I'm not the only one to get all daffy around a baby goat.  When the manageress at the store discovered that I was buying 2 gallons of goat milk for goat that was riding around in my car, she ditched her post and followed me out.  I left Morel in her arms while I went to the coffee shop to tank up on caffeine and warm up  the baby bottle.  When I returned they were gone.  Morel was being promenaded through the grocery store and in the break room.  Oooh would the health department love that!
I have been smart enough to delegate the task of feeding and walking (frequent potty breaks keep her from smearing herself and the inside of the crate with the most awful substance of the planet).  My clients' kids are home for Spring break and they're eager goat handlers.  
Tonight should be the last night of hard freezing.  Morel kept me company as I rolled out the tarps over the garden one more time.

Cute as a button!
Following my equine vet's advice, Angus will be receiving daily biotin supplements.  The delivery vehicle is still undetermined.  Commercial pellets are too hard to feed to only one horse in a loose herd.  A treat will be better.  But, biotin loses its potency once heated.  A no-bake cookie is my only option.  Enter tonight's culinary disaster.  The online recipe promised a dough easy to form into balls.  My 'dough' is only one step up from soup.  But, after breaking open 60 vitamin capsules, I'm not giving up.  More R & D required!

Not suitable for putting in one's pockets.
 Sneaking back to the barn to see if my favorite girl #9 is having her babies,  Jamie