Monday, April 1, 2013

MOREL ON THE ROAD

Easter Sunday:  vegetable garden planting  in Birmingham

Enter the problems:  Morel, the goat, needed bottle feeding every four hours, so she was loaded in the backseat.  Due to long hours at work, Cole and I hadn't had any time together lately...he was riding shotgun.  Two of my regular boarders showed up this week, so they made the journey too.

Adapt and overcome.

Caravaning
 My friend, Mark conceived the idea of gifting his grandmother with a vegetable garden two years ago.  I have been his eager assistant ever since...it helps that this particular grandmother, only a few months shy of her 100th birthday, is a whiz in the kitchen, providing meals and snacks for the laborers.

Easter was no exception.  A huge spread had been prepared by Mrs. H.  She had started making and freezing her casseroles two weeks in advance.  Such zest for life and a heart for giving, it's a privilege for me to call her my friend.

Even Morel did not escape without being doted on by Mrs. H!

Morel making herself at home in Birmingham
       Back on the farm, Morel was reintroduced to her herd after work tonight.  She mingled for an hour and then came back inside for a night cap of milk.  Tomorrow, we're shooting for 4 hours out amongst her kin.  She'll be fine, me..?

In case anyone in town is looking for goat milk, I should let you know that I emptied Earth Fare's cooler.  My girl will not be going hungry any time soon.


Got milk?