Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Smith's Invasion of the DC Area

Maryland's natural beauty, frankly, surprised me.  I had been expecting urban sprawl from Washington DC to the coastlines.  Quite the opposite!  Unspoiled forests and bucolic farmland. 

This arboretum is encompassed in the Tuckahoe State Park.  An hour and a half from DC and a world away!



Dad did an Evil Knievel maneuver and landed upside down off the bike trail.  Check out the back of his shirt.  A little tumble is nothing for this former football team captain--he is tough!

Cole and I ran, Dad kept up on the bike.



5.5 mile run in Maryland

An outdoor lunch at an Irish restaurant in Denton (historic town once part of the underground railroad) followed by homemade ice cream from the Vandewendes dairy farm...grazing our way through the day.




Next stop was at Broadkill Beach, an official sanctuary for horseshoe crabs. 



Cole, unsure what a pointer is supposed to do with a dead one!


Swimming seemed like a good idea until a fisherman told me that he had caught a small shark 10 minutes earlier.  Enough excitement was had trying to avoid stepping on beached jellyfish.



Scout leader and Cole


Later that Friday afternoon, we visited the first town in the first state.  Lewes, Delaware was founded in 1631.  We trotted around town to see all the incredible historic sites.  The 1855 Ryves Holt house is the oldest structure in Delaware.  Another house along the harbor front still has a cannonball embedded in its foundation from the War of 1812. 




My handsome dad!


Magnificent stained glass windows in the Lewes church



Cole thought it appropriate to do some rabbit hunting in a 300 year old cemetery.

A decommissioned lightship (movable lighthouse) has become a museum.


Dad speeding past the lightship 'Overfalls'

During WWII, Fort Miles was built immediately to the south of Lewes, to defend the Delaware Bay/River and Philadelphia.  It was one of the largest and most heavily armed coastal fortifications ever built.  Several massive concrete observations towers still remain.  They have the height of lighthouses, but resemble ominous gun turrets.  Great underground bunkers shielded by massive steel doors can still be seen through the underbrush.  The military post is now part of Cape Henlopen State Park.




Miles of poorly marked trails brought us to a salt water marsh---made it worth the confusion!



Lewes 8.7 mile run



Fine, al fresco dining in Lewes with a dead dog!
 A minor navigational error turned the 3 hour drive back to DC into a 4 hour trip.  We're on vacation, we're supposed to crawl back to the motel at 1 AM!


 Guess who had no problems finding parking in downtown Washington DC on a Sunday morning? 

The Super Car in DC



The two lads by the Jefferson Memorial
 How is it that I am so lucky when I travel?  Great weather, groovy coincidences...
The previous week's temperatures in DC had been oppressively hot, this week, great.  The President was honoring veterans at the Korean War Memorial on the National Mall.  The Secret Service had most of the roads in and accessing the National Mall closed off.  Cole and I ran and Dad was biking in the middle of the road, like we owned the place!



Foreign interlopers



In front of the Lincoln Memorial




Doesn't Cole look smart with the obelisk coming out the top of his noggin?


The beauty of the architecture, the grandeur, the history, the President so close ---all too much for one morning.  I'm still in awe of it all!



National Mall 5.3 run



By happenstance, I found a 10k race being held here on Saturday night.  Afternoon rains cleared in time for the race (did I mention how lucky I've been?).  My coach had emailed me a race strategy plan and I credit it and my local pit crew, Dad and Cole, for my 4th Female place finish.  I missed out on the $100 cash prize given to the 3rd place Female, but I was ecstatic to have raced with fast Kenyans.


Post race was the only way to catch a Kenyan!  She was #2.




However shall I spend my $25 gift card at Road Runner Sports?




Set a personal record for a 10k (6.2 miles):  46 minutes and 23 seconds with the last 2 miles all uphill.





My cheering section, my dog handler, half my genetics, my DAD!
  One more day on holiday--look out Mount Vernon, here we come (and the Whole Foods grocery that has become our home away from home less than 1/2 mile from our motel--lucky, I tell you).