Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Storm Shelter Drill

One reason I love trail running is that it allows me uninterrupted time to live in my head... to come up with more projects and tasks to further complicate my life.

Example:  Monday morning.  Dire storm predictions were looming for the next 56 hours.  I was eager to test my new storm shelter.  The horses, who eschew the safety of the open bay in the barn when the noise of pounding rain on the metal roof gets too loud, would be safe thanks to Dr. P's mustangs.  Yes, I have wandered off in search of them during bad lightning storms to find that the savvy mustangs take the herd out of the open, away from single tall trees, to low level copses of trees. 

The donkeys sometimes have different ideas.


 But, the oxen... those morons have zero sense.
The thought of emerging from my bunker to find 6000 lbs of barbecue under a tree was troubling me.  My endorphin saturated brain came up with a plan on the last lap around the farm.
I shall take them to Auburn University Vet School to board for a few days.
God, I'm brilliant.


And insane-- they go hand in hand. 
Mack needs to swallow magnetic boluses to safeguard his rumen from punctures from any metal he may accidentally ingest and Tommy's allergies are acting up (yes, really). 
Only one client suffered a rescheduling.  Her daughter is an equine veterinarian, so Mrs. Collins is a sympathetic soul. 
I even left my truck and trailer parked at the vet school and ran back home.  After a good run in the morning, a killer workout with Ike, a long day at work, I was out of steam for the 4 mile run home.  I made the mistake of running in my trail shoes, I felt every pounding step on the pavement. 
With the smell of paint still strong inside the storm shelter, I planned to hop in just before the heavy rains rolled in.  I could sleep until 1 AM, according to the radar.  According to the pounding pain in my left foot, I could not sleep at all. 
2 AM, Cole, Jinx and I were settled in our bunker.

 
 
I positioned my laptop on the cooler and we watched a documentary for an hour, the thunder and heavy rain were muffled, it was very serene.  Until I discovered an indoor waterfall started filling up the bunker.  The heavy rain was causing pooling outside the trap door.
 
 
It got worse, but we stayed inside because it was even worse outside.  By the time the rain subsided, the water was right up to the top of my sleeping platform.
 
 
 
I finally got to sleep a couple hours at 6 AM. 
How to fix this wee little problem before the second round of bad weather arrives at 2 PM today?  If only my brain weren't so tired!
 
A friend told me yesterday that I shouldn't worry so much, that I should have faith in God.  Here is my rebuttal.  I thank Providence for: putting a sturdy vet school facility 4 miles from here, for my bunker and for the power of creativity. 
 
Best illustrated by this story...
The Mississippi River begins to flood.  Residents evacuate.  One man decides to stay, "God will protect me", he says to the neighbor who offers him a ride on his 4 wheeler.  The flood waters rise, the man is now stranded on the second floor when rescuers arrive in a boat.  "God will protect me", he says again.  He's on his roof when the National Guard helicopter tries to save him.  He declines the help.  Once drowned, he arrived at the Pearly Gates and bemoans to St. Peter that God failed him.  Peter tells him:  "he sent you a 4 wheeler, a boat and a helicopter, what more did you want?".