Thursday, June 12, 2014

A Thing of Beauty

FINALLY!

My new baby is home!


Presenting my new 20 ft. flatbed trailer, with ramps, with stake pockets, tandem axle brakes, all the bells and whistles.  So beautiful.
For months, I'd harassed friends to sell me a used flatbed trailer; shopped online; driven around trying to price new ones and offered my own landscape trailer for sale.  Nothing was bearing fruit. 
I started back where I'd begun my search:  Wilhite Trailers, in Opelika, AL.  I've been dealing with Freddie for almost 20 years.  Earlier, he didn't have any 20 footers in stock.  The stork delivered mine last week and I stopped in this week.  Serendipity. 
I picked it up in between jobs on Thursday.  Proudly drove it around town, snaked into  a subdivision and parked in front of a client's house before remembering she lived on a cul de sac.  Can't exit gracefully when you have to back up to the next street to turn around, the reverse beepers blaring the whole time. 


The trailer currently sits empty because Freddy doesn't believe in leaving keys in his equipment.  During the time it took the Wilhites to swap out the trailers, I'd run all over the yard, crawled over all the machinery and left my nose print on all the antique vehicles.


All goals were once mere dreams... I'm getting warmer.

Freddy was informed that once at the farm, I was going to play with my new trailer.  He gave me the look of "you are a twit, but we appreciate your business".

Foiled playtime:  the car wouldn't load, frontward nor backward.  Redneck ingenuity will be required.  The Master Plan was to strap the car down, put Cole in the driver's seat, drive down the lane and video Cole driving with a moving background via a camera anchored on the trailer.  Oh how I pass my leisure time.


Cole liked the view.
So much so that we sat on the trailer and enjoyed the birds, the lumbering livestock, the flowers in the yard until dusk.  The dog sat in my lap the entire time.


My evening opera show.

My horror show.

An old scratch...half inch blemish, horror, horror, horror.  Emergency plastic surgery on the schedule for this weekend.

I'll be ready to haul a mess of round bales this Fall and whatever else might tickle my fancy!