Saturday, January 28, 2017

Trupanion

Trupanion is the name of Cole's health insurance company.  Blue Cross Blue Shield is mine.  Let's compare, shall we?
First, let's establish that I signed Cole up after his two cranial cruciate surgeries,
after the bulk of his other misshaps...
So, the first 8 grand was all on me.

Blue Cross Blue Shield has left me to the wolves twice now.  Once 8 years ago when I developed heart problems.  To cover my costs, I sold my farm, placed my horses, sold every stick of antique furniture I had... that kind of stress really helped the heart problem.  Not.
I learned a valuable lesson.  Be prepared and self-reliant.
For this last knee surgery, I dotted my i's and crossed my t's;  I requested printed estimates from the surgeon, I called my insurance multiple times to confirm coverage of MRI, surgery, rehab.  Blue Cross refused to send me anything in writing, but I felt I had assurances.  Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.
Guess who had to foot the $7000 surgery herself?  I'm sure I could hire an attorney and end up owing the attorney more than my returns.  Good news is:  I sold some harnesses I haven't used in years, cashed in some retirement savings, but didn't have to sell Angus, again.
Even though I've been offered 15k for him,

 he's not going anywhere.  Angus was sacrificed once for the good of the rest of us and it took me three years to get him back. Never again.
Cole's cancer treatment last year is included in +13k, 

the only caveat is the vet bill must be paid before a claim can be filed.  So 2016 was terribly stressful financially, but Trupanion always came through and reimbursed me roughly 75% of all of Cole's claims.  
I didn't have to sell my truck, my horse, my kidney... isn't that what insurance is supposed to be about?
If I can convince Trupanion that I'm a 6 year old (dog years) Canadian Spaniel, I'll drop Blue Cross Blue Shield in a heart beat.  
A large corporation and high ethical standards, not mutually exclusive, imagine that.
Last week I received $1100 reimbursement from Trupanion, it went directly into my TD Ameritrade fund and I exclusively bought TRUP stocks with it.  
They've won me over, what can I say?...