Wednesday, July 25, 2018

After Hours

You'd think after a full time job taking care of horses that I'd be less enthusiastic about taking care of other critters on my off time. Just isn't the case, I reveal in my mornings runs with Garrett and Dax.

Necessary chore to get both Dax and I in the proper frame of mind for a day's work.

He needs to expend a lot of energy if he's to remain angelic throughout the day at the barn or at home.  My routine is to get up at 5 AM, clean house, do farm accounting and ease out the door after sunrise for a run.  Foul weather rarely impedes us, but about once a week, either I play snooze button tag or get wrapped up in my accounting programs and can't get out in time. 
That's when he makes me pay:

Payback.

He's the best running coach I could have, keeps me out on the trails, 5 miles a day, without fail, or else.

It's truly more of a treat to care for them than a chore. Even as they age and require more specialized care... Peter's obesity has been hampering his mobility and in spite of (mostly) best efforts, Chubbo remains at 82 lbs.  His orthopedist recommended 75% vegetables in with his kibbles now to try to get him down to 57 lbs.

Making homemade stock with vegetable medleys is now another task on the agenda.

It helps when Peter acts as sous chef.

You'd be surprised how much my lot love celery.

Peter and Garrett do hate storms though.  One day, serious lightning popped out of nowhere and I chose to bring the horses into the barn for safety first and go home to retrieve the dogs later.  

Peter hates storms. He was perturbed to say the least.

Dax settled in nicely with his body pillow and hardly noticed.

Meanwhile, my home looks like a crack house from the road, owing to the shredded blinds and torn curtains.  Mental note:  never leave Peter alone during storms.
Another bit of info: don't try to sneak past our vet's two dogs with three heathens in the car...

Every day is a new creature adventure.  Thankfully all here share my vision of being good stewards of this land and respecting all creatures great and small that call this home:
In spite of ourselves, all of us have taken a shine to Dax too.

Bless his little self!!!