Thursday, July 5, 2018

Father's Foundation

On July 4th, when we all give a tip of the hat to the Founding Fathers, I felt gratitude to one more father:  my own.
The evening of July 3rd, after the usual grueling 12 hour day, I called him to tell him I was quitting, I'm done, finished, can't do anymore, exhausted, totally used up and depleted.  
dad had just put in a 12 hour day himself in record high temps of 100'F in Canada.  His advice: sleep on it.  Make no decisions when tired.  You'll know what to do in the morning.
Thankfully, I did as instructed and curled up with the tome I've been working my way through for the past month:

Tim Ferriss's 'Tools of the Titans'. Tedious at first, but I've been determined to glean whatever I can from it., dog earing page after page, making a file folder of notes.

Don't I hit upon the gem when most in need. I read the interview with Jocko Willink.  Immediately, I'm removed from the dangerous frame of mind I was in and feel focused again. Here's a quick intro into what he's all about.

Mentors are everywhere if you reach out and ask for help.  Thanks, Dad.
July 4th started out with a whole new attitude.  Started work extra early, took Dax for his 5 mile run and wore my ears out listening over and over again to my mix of favorite music for these types of days:  Disturbed, Alice Cooper and Marilyn Manson.

Goodl old Marilyn has been accused of inciting mass killings, but his music has the opposite effect on me.  Keeps me from going postal.
Eventually, I'll go back to my John Denver and Gordon Lightfoot channel on Pandora.  Just not yet... still have a few more kinks in my brain to work out and I'll still need Marilyn for a few days.  Here's one of his more tame videos. It's an acquired taste...