Sunday, March 3, 2019

Running Away

On February 10th, the clan and I left covertly in the night.  We made our way North, very North.  

We returned 10 days later, but it has taken me this long to recover and catch up at work to be able to tell you about it.

A few weeks before, the preparations began in earnest.
All dogs had enough clothes for a polar expedition.
You can never be too prepared.
No frost bitten ears on my watch.


The journey was 1300 miles.




With 4 dogs.  Patient dogs.

The plan was to do it in 2 days, sleeping one night in the car (find me a motel that accepts 300 lbs of fur).

Plotted along the journey, every 4 hours or so, were parks for us to ramble and stretch.


Avoiding the expensive and unhealthy roadside foods, I packed my own travel food and coffee maker. 
No bitter Starbucks coffee for me, this is my own home roasted blend.

Plans changed when a Winter storm nipped at our heels from Virginia to the border.  

White out conditions, tractor trailers parked all along the sides of the interstate, blocking off ramps.  40 mph hour top speed through Pennsylvania in the night. I had snow tires, so I plugged on through the night.

36 hours straight in in the car, but I made it before they closed the interstate in PA!!!

Perseverance pays off, highways empty and clear driving in NY.

Homeward bound:  International Bridge.
Exhausted, yet elated, we weary travelers arrive at my mother's house in Quebec.

3 feet of snow keeps you know who from taking off!

Stuck in snowbank, I think it's at this point Garrett made up his mind to spend the remainder of his vacation indoors.

My stepdad had spent days compacting the over 1 mile snowshoeing trail so the dogs could enjoy it too.  

Imprisoned in the car for too long, we fought the need to go inside.

But Dax's feet were getting cold, so we broke out the Winter gear!

Party on, Garth!