Sunday, March 28, 2021

Firsts

 Celebrate the wins in life. 



Friday night, I ran for the first time in over 2 months.  Earlier in the week, I had taken Dax, Micah, Suki and Pippins to the Boonies all on a mush line.



With Dax as the front man, it was not the kind of experience I'd like to repeat.



After Dax's little ordeal with a funky infection on his legs that didn't resolve for months, I've been heeding the vet school dermatologist's stern admonishment to keep Dax out of the swamps. No small feat, when wetlands bisect the entire property and for some reason, he's not happy unless he returns from a run muddied like he's been tossed in a Shake'n'Bake bag.





Back to the drawing board.  I set Suki up on a third GPS collar and decided to free run them, yet with the requirement they stay within 50 yards of me instead of our previous 300 yard zone.  



Suki is probably the smartest dog I've ever had.  Either that, or Dax is just dumb as a box of rocks and makes everyone else look stellar. Pippins' sight is too compromised to run off leash.  Blind in one eye, I can't risk she runs into a branch and pop her surgery eye... I could've bought myself a new horse trailer with the money I put into that little gelatinous orb.



It was a 5 mile adventure that I do care to repeat, but my soggy, atrophied legs will need to slowly be reintroduced to it.  

To help me out, Uncle Cristian has been taking Suki on adventures with him when he does his security rounds.  



I think he's hooked.  



Once you run with a dog, running solo pales in comparison.  


3 preceding pics courtesy of Carattini Photography