Friday, June 10, 2022

Confessions

 If parents say they love all their children equally, they're lying. 



I lack flesh and blood kids, but I do have creatures for whom I'd eagerly commit murder. Or in the least, have completely ended relationships over.








I can't wait to get home to these faces every night.  Days off... these are the ones I want to spend all my time with.

photo credit Bri Mitchell


Ditto for the ponies.  If you're lucky, it's a 30 year commitment.  For all y'all who suggested I divest myself of my horses, don't be looking for a Christmas card this year.






My little Axel will soon be 30, which mean I've spent over 10,000 days being with him every single day. On average, kids stay at home for roughly 7,000 days, think about that.  When I rescued him, Angus, Fletcher and Jones, I meant it.  


I was in my early 20s when I pulled a seriously injured Appaloosa off a trailer headed to the kill pens.  I plan to be in my sixties when I bury him. End of story.



Cole.

photo credit Mark Rikard


Cole was my soulmate.  Dax was meant to be his doppelganger. 

A Festivus pole is the only Christmas tree to survive Dax.


Alas, he turned out to be the spawn of Satan; yet I love him like only the mother of Beelzebub can : voraciously. Micah came along next.  I knew the moment I cradled him that he was mine. He's named after the great endurance runner, Caballo Blanco, whose real name was Micah True.  Kind, loyal, dependable, he suffers the part of best child well.  All the others get the attention, the time, the encouragement. I've missed his birthday two years in a row.    





Every once and again, I take him alone to run errands and dream we never go back.  We take what cash is in my wallet and we make a run for Wyoming.



So, if you're being a snot to your parents, do know they fantasize about leaving your capricious, demanding, special needs asses behind on a regular basis.  Be smart, act extra nice if you come home and mom and dad's cars are still in the driveway.