Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Vultures Are Raptors

 Did you know?  Vultures are now classified as raptors. Discovery made after interrupting a predator's attempt to abscond with this little guy.



Vultures use a hollowed stump as a nesting site; Cristian has been monitoring it for years.  He reported two nestlings.  I went by to check on them... empty, and signs of a break -in.  I believe I can whip up some concrete and reseal the gap. Project #5933.



50 yards away was the plumpest little fellow upside down in the leaves.  I'd never held a vulture, even the tips of their fluffy feathers smell of putrefaction.  I cradled him all the way back to the barn; it took washing my hands three times to get the stench off.




What to do since the nest was compromised and mom had already left them for dead?  Auburn University Raptor Rehab took him in... since he is a raptor.  



Through their website, I've been keeping tabs on his progress.  Bless his little heart.

Spring brings all creatures out of the woodwork. The hummingbirds that wander into the barn can never figure out how to simply fly back out the open doors.  Their instincts tell them to go high, spend all day in the rafters and drop to the barn floor by evening, exhausted and dehydrated.



Enter Hummer Rescue Squad.



Rescue syrup administered, cobwebs removed and released. 



A vigilant employee noticed an unusual snake hiding under a horse water trough. In 30 years of living in Alabama, I'd never encountered a scarlet kingsnake.  This was a momentous occasion for me.



Momentous in his young life too, as he was quickly relocated to a more suitable habitat where he wouldn't risk getting crushed by an 800 lb water trough or a 1200 lb horse.  



A snake of another kind ruined my day and my budget.  Do note all this happened within a span of 2 days.



Just before dusk, I took all the dogs for a run in my ox pasture, you know, to knock the edge off them so I can study the rest of the night. Suki returned with a quickly swelling face and eyes rolling back into her head.



Off to Auburn University we go.  My trusty 20 year old 1 ton truck turned into Pegasus and flew us there in record time.



They allowed me to commandeer an exam room to study.  By around 3 AM, they were satisfied that she was stable enough to return home.  Venomous snakes, I am not so fond of.  One hour of sleep before going to work, not fond of that either.



All worth it to protect the pack.