Sunday, July 24, 2022

Looney Bin Morning Routine

 You can't change genetics; deal with the hand you're played.  But, environment is all on you, baby.  It's where nutrition, exercise, medical marvels, love and enrichment can turn a life not worth living into joy.  



Peter may be 16 and suffering from hip dysplasia, advanced arthritis and had 3 surgeries to remove cancerous masses, had eyelid surgery, a toe amputated, but he's still cruising.  Three times a week, we drag him to the lake for 15 minutes of cardio.



Getting old ain't for sissies, Connor can attest to that too.  



He had a splenectomy 8 months ago.  The pathology report gave a grim prediction of 3-7 months life span left.  Thank God Connor is illiterate.  



13 year old Connor still plays like a puppy, when he's not on his docking station. Month 8 and counting...

Pippins had cataract surgery two years ago, despite the success of the surgery in one eye, her vision has begun to fade due to advancing inherited retinopathy and now glaucoma.  



She's only 6, but a genetic mess.  We've been on a 3x a day drops regiment for almost 3 years, we've successfully slowed the progress of the diseases, anything to buy her more butterfly chasing time.



Life isn't measure by the numbers on each end, it's what you make of the dash.

Stella is the newest rescue.  Inbred English pointer came to me in dire condition, which only continued to deteriorate.  She definitely saw the bright light and it was just by Dr. Carattini's help that she didn't die. 



It's been an uphill battle since she arrived with a host of parasites, infection, heartworms, dog aggression issues and the inflammatory bowel syndrome that made her poop her intestinal lining before we could get her stabilized. 



Medical problems in check, her attitude was then adjusted by Theresa Nichols of Barkbusters who provided her services pro bono to adjust her to pack life.



I'd say it was a success. 

It is a lot of work, yet I get such profound joy sharing my life with these heathens; it's beyond worth it.  I simply need to find a way to add more hours to the day, then I'll be OK.  I study after work from 9 to 1 AM, so 6 AM dog breakfast chores take a while since I'm half awake. 

This morning,  I was relieved of horse feeding detail at the barn, a more leisurely morning meant I could answer a friend's query: "what do you feed Fergus???"... since he tried to assault a boogeyman outside last night by breaking down the door.  Yes, I was standing in the kitchen at 10 PM, finally having breakfast (stop judging), munching on eggs and toast, when Fergus barreled through the kitchen, never slowing down before hitting the door.  Busted out the strike plate and door hinge screws.  He's 8 months old and over 90 lbs, who needs an alarm system with him around.

Here's a condensed version of my daily morning routine for 8 dogs' breakfasts. Video:



I'm posting more on youtube now that I have Starlink and it doesn't take 8 hours to upload a 30 second video.  Feel free to subscribe to my channel.  I try to post short video a few times a week of the furballs.