Monday, September 16, 2013

Boston Bound

It's official:

 
 
 
 
My registration last week has been accepted.  Me and 36,000 of my closest running friends will converge on Boston in April 2014.  Trial by fire.  Demophobia, fear of crowds.  Some people feel energized by being in a melee, I want to find the nearest rabbit hole and jump in.  Don't even ask me about my only experience at an Auburn football game.  79,000 cheering fans, 1 idiot walking 'round and 'round the concourses to get fresh air (in an outdoor stadium!). 
 
I'm bringing along my security blanket, Cole.
 
I booked my room months ago in a suburb of Boston, a few blocks away from the doggie spa.
 
 
Cole's lodgings are chic. My La Quinta room is dog-friendly, so Cole will only have to endure his swank suite while I pick up my race packet and while I run.  After the race, we'll split town, make our way to visit family in Canada, via Rhode Island, New Hampshire and Maine.
 
Now, the hard work begins of getting back into marathon shape. 
 
Next week, I'll be running the North Face Challenge marathon in Georgia.  So soon after my fracture, I'm not ready to race.  So, we'll call it a training run with T-shirt and medal! Plus, I get to meet Dean Karnazes, an elite ultramarathoner.  His book inspired me.
 
One of his quotes:  "Struggling and suffering are the essence of a life worth living.  If you're not pushing yourself beyond the comfort zone, you're choosing a numb existence. You're denying yourself an extraordinary trip."