Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Nocturnal Activities

To help me train for my upcoming 100 mile race, I have been trail running at night.  Like in the wee hours of the morning.  Most people would prefer to run after work, but after a day of manual labor, I'm whooped.  Half a night's sleep and I'm rearing to go. 


Running paraphernalia:  GPS watch, MP3 player, head lantern, another light that fits around my waist, pepper spray, Newton running pack for water, Gerber quick-draw knife and, of course, 'my little friend'. 
The routine consists of getting up around 2 AM and running a minimum of 10 miles before returning home for a shower and a nap.  I try to be back up by 6:30 to tank up on caffeine and feed the animals.  I suppose if pressed, I could do my chores in an hour, but it always takes my at least 1-1/2 hours.  Why turn the best part of my day into work?
#1 throw a bit of hay to the horses, thereby distracting them
#2 run back to the house, sneak prepared alfalfa mash and grain over to the oxen
#3 act like nothing happened, rush back to finish dispensing hay to horses and donkeys
#4 give hay to goats
#5 try to sneak away with a full wheelbarrow of hay. Give to oxen.
#6 hand feed equine mineral mix hidden in alfalfa mash to horses
#7 pick salad for chickens. Feed and change their water, gather eggs. Move coop. Talk to Ruby (Rhode Island Red, quite the chatterbox).
#8 make breakfast for the dogs
#9 be late for work again!

Today might be a rough day.  Instead of stopping around 5 AM, I kept going around and around the farm.  The fog and mist created an ethereal feeling and a dang coyote kept watch over me from the same place 50 yards on the other side of the electric fence.  I surmise it was a female guarding her den because my lights caught those blue eyes on each of the 11 laps.  A little squirrel hunting with Cole added to the mix and I've missed my nap.  Phooey.

 
Nah, it's going to be a great day!