Sunday, February 2, 2014

From Frostbite to Sunburn

Three days off from work last week due to the massive Winter storm in Auburn, total accumulation of 1".  I needed to get back to work on Friday to get some rest! 

Frustration is mounting as we are all spending so much time and energy searching for my missing brother, Jordan, and he remains AWOL.  To relieve stress, I like to vacuum.  Sick, I know.  After vacuuming under every stick of furniture in the house, under every appliance, in every cupboard, I turned my attention to the ceilings.  With an upholstery attachment, you can suck up all those bothersome little dust bunnies above ceiling fans.  Don't they annoy everyone? 

Still stressed, I washed windows, all the walls, organized closets, tools, tack and horse wares.  I kept the living room carpet covered in blankets to keep us from soiling the freshly steam cleaned carpets. Overkill.

I scared myself when I remembered my great-aunt, Marcelle, who bought a new baby blue velvet couch that no one got to see for over a decade.  The factory plastic cover had never been removed.  She covered that with a cover seen only on special occasions.  That cover was covered by an every day slip. 

I suppose nuts don't fall far from the tree!

Three days filled with angst, productivity and fun adventures in the snow.  A real melee.

I tried to enhance my calm by watching my elephant cam.


Elephants.com is one of my newest favorite charities.  It's a pachyderm rescue farm in Tennessee.  They have 14 cameras to capture the animals grazing, sleeping, holding trunks... I am determined to make it up there one weekend to help shovel gargantuan piles of manure (it's something I know that I can do to help!).

Three days spent in my favorite clothes.  Be careful when giving me clothing that is only intended as a joke, because I have zippo sense of style and I'll fall in love with them.


Maxine slippers and my fleece camo PJs (Gina, where did you get these? I need 10 more pairs!). 

Dad bought me a camo hat.  Most hats fit my brain bucket like a thimble on a pumpkin, but this one fits right over my satellite dish ears.  Dad later commented that I looked like an old time football player.





I admit, there is a resemblance!

The hens must have gotten the memo that this weekend the gang of egg-eaters was headed for the freezer.  Aven has begun to fly into my arms when I open the coop door.  As my hands are usually full, she has to beat me about the face with her wings until she can comfortably perch (and poop) on my shoulder. 


A stay of execution has been granted due to cuteness.

Here's another adorable picture.


On Saturday, I had one of those truly satisfying days at work.  I helped a friend put in a vegetable garden at her new house.


Everyone pitched in to till, rake, collect rocks, install landscape fabric and mulch.



We even got four rows of Irish potatoes planted.  What a satisfying day!


Another man's junk is this woman's material for her rock wall!

Biding adieu to another beautiful weekend.


Reason # 437 Why I love to live on the farm:  sunsets are to die for.