Thursday, May 29, 2014

Unplugged

Last week, the manufacturing division of Smith Enterprises attempted to depose its administrative director.  As it is a one man operation, such a coup is unfortunately impossible.  After rounds of schizophrenic negotiations, we've/I've agreed to moderate the work schedules.  Last four weeks of work has left me a little burned out -- like extra crispy. 

The support staff at home has been providing comic relief.


More than 6 months have passed since Cole's first surgery and we've never left the farm. Time to head to my refuge in Appalachia before I blow a gasket.
I have this great gig where I clean a vacation home in the mountains of North Carolina.  It's a four hour drive, but a world away. Another client kindly offered the same arrangement for the care of their beach condo, but I passed.  I'm not exaggerating when I say that you can't pay me to go to the beach. Leave me to my forests.


The trick to making the trek in 4 hours is to bisect Atlanta after 11 PM, when traffic has abated.  I hit the road Friday night and we were unpacked and asleep by 2 AM.  Up again at 5:30 because one must hit the popular trails early to avoid throngs of slow hikers.

 

The parking lot at Whiteside Mountain trailhead after we'd descended.  We were the third party here when we'd arrived.  Early bird gets the peace and quiet.
I'd chosen this trail to test Sadie's hiking skills.  Short three miles and plenty of fencing at edge of the precipices.


A+ on her report card.


Cole's first hike since our last run in Arizona in November. 


Afterwards, the dogs and I indulged in the best BBQ pork, bar none.  This little joint in Cashiers, NC is always a required stop for me.  Cole was awaiting his next piece.
Next mandatory stop is at Woof Gang Dog Bakery. 


The treat table was under siege.


Cole scored big:  new raincoat, bags of treats and a new food dish, one intended to perplex and bewilder.  Back on Mother's Day, I'd taken the dogs out for ice cream.  In the drive thru queue, Cole couldn't contain his excitement and he barfed all over the dash and stick shift.  Rather than being aghast about the chunks, which are still stuck down between the seats, the 6 hour old digesta with intact kibbles is what upset me.  My dog isn't chewing any of his food, which causes mal absorption of nutrients and possibly life threatening bloat. 
But now, problem solved.

Saturday afternoon, I found some of the most beautiful trails on land owned by a country club.  The front desk staff politely told me that only members are permitted to enjoy the miles and miles of trails.  Ruffians, such as ourselves, must go elsewhere.  My elsewhere was down to the maintenance shop where I inquired about the trails with the Mexican laborers.  Problem circumnavigated and Chimney Top Mountain ascended.  5 more miles under our belt. Gracias, amigos!


Tag teaming it up the mountain.


Yes, Sadie, it is breath taking.


Yes, Sadie, the car is way down there.
I can never get enough of the mountains, I hate to come out of the woods.  I had to remind myself that Cole isn't 100 % back in shape yet.


He loves the mountain air too.
And we had work to do at the house anyway.


With the vistas of Shortoff Mountain to one side, the stable and arena off to the front and lovely rhododendrons blooming everywhere, work here is very pleasant.  Add to that the marvelous silence:  no TV, no radio, no computer, no news, no neighbors...it's restoration for the soul.  I spent three glorious days in a  peaceful world where hearing your own voice is startling.

On Sunday, we wandered North to Pisgah National Forest.  I found heaven.  Almost didn't take the hike:  my map was outdated, the trailhead parking lot was closed due to construction, trail signs were absent (problem I've discovered in all national parks due to budget cuts leading to lack of maintenance).  We plowed forward to ascend Tennant Mountain, a 7 mile round trip hike.


"Are you sure this is the way?"

Well, actually it wasn't.
We stumbled upon a map to the entrance of Shining Rock Wilderness to discover that I had missed Tennant Mountain way back there and we were between Cold Mountain and Shining Rock Mountain. 


 As it was imperative to bag a peak, we headed to Shining Rock 6040 feet elevation. 


Sadie: "I'm gonna tell my Daddy on you!"
Cole: "I'm telling my physiotherapist!"

"Ma, I don't see the car." Oops, we ended up doing a 14 mile hike.
But, isn't it worth it?  Plus, the pack mule, moi, had toted up a big picnic.
Mother Nature helped cool us off on the descent with a long, lovely, at times heavy, rain shower.  Nothing like being pulled over slick rocks by a pair of sled dogs.


Finally back on the trail with my kid, I'll never take another day in the woods with him for granted.



On Sunday, I worked around the house and took the crew out for a short hike to Sunset Rocks.  Yes, Jinx was relieved of his house guarding duties to be dragged along what he considered to be a death march.  We got to the outcropping and Jinx rushed over to other hikers and tried to jump in their arms.  Yes, I abuse him.  Fresh air and exercise are torture for this couch potato.

Well, we're back in Alabama now, my fuel tank has been refilled, I'm good to go for a while until the mountains call me back.