Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Heaven Sent

Sometimes providence sends you exactly what you need:  a snow day!
And it's my day off too! 5'F windchill isn't going to keep us from seizing this most beautiful of days:

This was Dax's first experience skijoring, my heart brims with joy... in spite of some spectacular wipeouts.  He finally earns the family name of Smith today.

Can't tell you how proud this little fella made me today.

We returned home with all four of the booties, miraculously.

 After a few hours absence, the two other dogs who refused to join us skiing don't even get up to greet us.

Peter will remain reclined forever, but Dax cannot leave him alone.

Even if I sit between them as the referee.

Round 3.

It's a tie. 
Before dusk, I drag the entire crew out for a 3 mile run.  The deer weren't expecting us out so late, the dogs have a great time watching them run ahead of us.
A day to never be forgotten.
Tip of the hat to my colleague who was at work when 90% of people in these parts were not, for keeping the horses warm, fed and watered with warm water... for allowing me to make some memories.
On my end of the farm, the oxen are getting two hot mash meals a day and the chickens that spend cold nights in a crate in my feedroom...

It was too cold today for them to return to their coop (they're quite ancient).

By the time I return from my run, it's dark and they're already roosting.  So, now I have Free Room Chickens.  Nothing a scrub brush and bleach can't fix later!

I would rather die of passion than boredom. ----Van Gogh