Thursday, June 14, 2018

Life

This guy +

beaver dam eradication 

=torn meniscus.
While we navigate the slow moving waters of Workman's Compensation, Flynn is stuck off work, yet busy developing ulcers from lack of work, and I'm looking down the barrel of a couple of months without a day off.  
Even before the official diagnosis, I'd twiddled with his knee cap and knew it wasn't just a sprain.  I sprung into action calling up folks to enlist to Farm Camp.
Good Providence had brought Dr. Simmons to us from Auburn University earlier this month. The Good Doctor had time on her hands this Summer and was looking to broaden her repertoire of skills (and experience chiggers, heat stroke, being so dirty after work that you mistake your new complexion for a tan).

She's come to the right place.

We have yet to find anything she doesn't nor can't learn to do.

Fresh out of 3D printers, we can't run multiples of her, so she found us a few more folks from the ranks of disenchanted college profs. 
Spawning this idea:

Having found just enough hands to help and not too much to congest progress...if everyone puts in half a day a week, I may survive this crucible!

Come to find out a new neighbor across the road grew up on a farm in Indiana.  She's a new mom with a few hours to donate to the farm every week.  If she can manage the smaller bushhog, as she swears up and down, I can take over the big batwing cutter and we can be back in business.
I spent a day practicing with it.

And that's just the half of it.

No demolished fences, no clipped gates, no getting tangles up in trees.

I don't think I'll be taking on the 30' incline of the big dam just yet, but it doesn't intimidate me anymore.  I need to show you how the articulating wings work... seriously cool.
Meanwhile, with my days off vanishing into the ether, I wondered how I was supposed to get this lump and his wench to the vet school for their regular foot trims on Thursday.  

Tommy and Daphne ONLY see Dr. Edmondson.  She never lames them and they never stay on the tilt table longer than the safe 15 minute limit.  Otherwise permanent damage occurs to their GI tract from the tight cinches they have to use. Not only is our Dr. E the best bovine vet, but she amended her schedule to have us come in before they make their rounds, allowing me to come in 2 hours earlier than regular appointments, so that I could try to zip back home on time for the Senior horses' lunchtime.
So, this morning, the horses were getting fed at 6:30 AM, permitting me to load Tommy and Daphne for our 8 AM appointment in Auburn.
I always stay out of the way, but with a window onto the tilt table, inside a meeting room.
Cole always came with me.  He stuck to me like glue and ignored strangers.  As I've said many times before, Dax is a different animal.  
Actually, he's a gigolo.