Tuesday, July 9, 2019

The Sandman

Back in late June, I went for a 24 hour visit to Canada.  Might I say that flying with a boot cast is the way to go.

Super friendly people whisk you past the queues at security, up hidden elevators, navigate  you through the terminals on giant golf carts.  It's the royal treatment.

I rented a car in Toronto and made tracks to Ottawa...

Squeezing in an hour's visit with my dad and a short pit stop at my mom's too.  Then back to Toronto.

What the hell was this all about you say.
As the mission has been declassified, I can tell you about Operation Sandman.

Meet the Sandman, aka Sandy. He's my best friend's 12 year old Italian Greyhound.  It was my task to coordinate surgery for him and get him down here. Hence the clandestine flight to Canada:  to be a second chauffeur for monsieur Sandy.

Road trip!

The lengths we will go for our furry companions.

Two thirds of the way there.

Sandy brought an appropriate disguise for his covert entry into Alabama.

Next, we try to assimilate Anne-Marie to Dixie culture.  First stop: Wiley's Pitt BBQ in middle of nowhere Smuteye, Alabama.

The chef from Toronto concurs, these are some of the best ribs around.

Next attempt at blending in: we visit the Auburn Arboretum in 100'F humidity.

Agent 46 passed incognito.
Meanwhile, the Sandman had his surgery and was recovering well.

All thanks to our Dr. Carattini.

Back on the farm, Anne-Marie toiled tirelessly to prepare one gourmet meal after another.

My part in all this:  stuffing my face. I excelled.



So this is what it's like to have a personal chef.  I need to play the lottery more often!



Who else has a chef who can double as a farm hand?

Right down to administering Cody's asthma treatments.


Very versatile this little Canadian!
It was with a very heavy heart that I bid them goodbye.
Mission accomplished:  Operation Sandman was a success!