Thursday, September 5, 2019

End of an Era

It's with a very heavy heart that I had say goodbye to my Tommy. It had been a while since his arthritis and degenerating hooves had been robbing him of regular mobility, in spite of regular visits to the vet school for tune ups.  Lately, he spend most of his time laying down.

Within the last two weeks, I saw the swelling in his knees double in size, made an appointment at the vet school, realized it would be too difficult for him to stand in the trailer for hours, cried my eyes out some more and came to the conclusion that if I loved him so much, I should set him free.

There's almost as many pictures and paintings of Tommy in my house as there are of Cole.  The two biggest and most steadfast loves of my life, who started their journeys simultaneously 12 years ago, are now over the Rainbow Bridge.

I had bought Tommy at the ripe old age of 2 days old.

I bottle fed him and his half-brother, Mack, well beyond the time they should've been weaned.

Grow they did, until they tipped the scales at 3000 lbs apiece.

Magnificent team.


A giant with a gentle heart.

He was one of a kind.

One day, I'll be able to hold that big head in my arms and kiss his nose again.

Mark my word, I will find them all again... one day.